2004 sport trac 4.0 to 4.6 or 5.0 engine swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 sport trac 4.0 to 4.6 or 5.0 engine swap

Jgarza1211

Reaction score
City, State
Lafayette
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Sport Trac
I have a 2004 sport trac with the 4.0 sohc that both motor and transmission look like shakes. Motor chocolate shake and transmission strawberry shake. I want to go with a bigger motor and was needing some advice. Which way should I go and how difficult will it be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check this thread:

Welcome to the forum:chug:

Or here I did a 2002 trac to 5.0
Stepson drives it everyday

I have a 2004 sport trac with the 4.0 sohc that both motor and transmission look like shakes. Motor chocolate shake and transmission strawberry shake. I want to go with a bigger motor and was needing some advice. Which way should I go and how difficult will it be?
Beyond nearly everyones' ability.

It’s technically illegal to put a 5.0 in a 2004 Trac, but I wouldn’t let that stop me. If you’re good with wiring diagrams, and wrenching it’ll be a typical non-like and kind motor swap. If this is your first job like this, it’ll be a challenge.

Or here I did a 2002 trac to 5.0
Stepson drives it everyday

Am I remembering correctly that there was a change in the cluster after '02 that complicates the swap? Seems like it became paired to the ECM after that so you have to swap it out to the older system to put in the 5.0 ECM.

Actually the change came in 2006+ where all the “modules” now communicate through a serial bus connection
The instrument cluster is actually one of the main components but I do not think that made its way into the 05 sport trac just the 06-11 rangers

I am dealing with that issue converting a 07 ranger to 5.0 right now we are using a Holley terminator ecm to control the 5.0 and 4r70w in that truck.

According to the federal emissions standards many things I have done over the years are considered “illegal” and I have been labeled a “gross polluter”
More then once. But it never stopped me from passing emissions at a state level. In Colorado or California just removing the secondary cats is illegal ( at the federal level) Here in Idaho there is no inspection or emissions ;)

Gotta love the free states, very refreshing after dealing w Colorado emissions testing my entire adult life. What really sucks is having to pay well over $150 every single year to do tailpipe opacity tests on 3 old diesel trucks. Every swap I did in Colorado went to a referee before they would sign off on my conversions, federal emissions? Not without secondary cats! State emissions? Pass.

Check your local emissions regulations before you do any conversions! The last year of the 5.0 was 2001
So putting a 302 into anything 02+ is not legal in many places

Go informed!!! There are referees who will be happy to answer your questions, most of those dudes are pretty dang cool in my experience

It’s technically illegal in all 50 states to do the swap, as it’s dealing with federal emissions. (Granted it’s going to be a street driven vehicle)

Again, the legality of it would be the least of my concerns.

I liked the idea of living in a non inspection state, until I actually lived in one. People absolutely can’t be trusted to maintain their vehicles. I’ve never seen bald tires like I’ve seen in Ohio. It’s all fine and dandy until there’s a 1/16” of rain or a few snowflakes, and every interstate shuts down because people are too stupid to change their tires before the air shows through.

Back