2004 Sport Trac. Towing problems. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Sport Trac. Towing problems.

I have a 2004 sport trac and when I try to pull a trailer (small 8'x4') the truck feels like the transmission is going to drop. It shifts really hard and almost feels like it locks into full 4x4 when i make a turn. The truck has 60K miles on it, and has no problems when loaded down with 1200lbs, but when that trailer goes on i have some serious problems! Anybody have any idea what this could be from? The trailer i was pulling can be pulled around the block with one hand, yet i cannot even attempt pulling it anymore due to the drastic change and problems is causes. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, Jay

Does the trailer have brakes? If so, try it without the trailer plug connected; it may be that the trailer's brakes are locking up when connected to the vehicle's electrical system for some reason.

I actually tried it withouth the electrical hook up and same problem! I guess i noticed a similar problem when i had the spare tire on the truck in the winter. If i tried to go into 4x4 with the spare on it would clunk and shift super hard. Went away when i turned off the 4x4. I figured it had something to do with my spare tire not being the same size as the rest of the tires. Anyway, i have no clue....

I'd suggest focusing on the tranny. De-activate the OD 1st, and if it still occurs, I'd go down on the gear selection to a lower gear. If you start in low gear, does everything work. Then select 2nd manually to try the first shift point, etc.
I pull 3800# and have never experienced anything like you describe? I'd just try to eliminate some things. Hope this helps......

Back