2004 - subwoofer amp - how to turn on? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 - subwoofer amp - how to turn on?

zipwax

Reaction score
City, State
woodinville, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 EB
I got the 2004 EB with the "audiophile" system. Ford goofed for not making the 6-CD changer into an mp3 player as well. So I'm putting in an Alpine 9813 with CD changer. They hooked up the Alpine to the 4 speakers no problem, but the stereo install guy was STUMPED trying to hook up the subwoofer - couldn't do it. He hooked the Alpine preamp out into the subwoofer's preamp in, but he couldn't figure out how to turn on the subwoofer - there's no "turn on line". What's up? Anybody have the clue I need? They want a good $400 to put in a nice subwoofer amp. Yuck.

thanks in advance...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that unit should have a remote turn on lead or a power antenna lead... use those

welcome to the site

Remote Turn On Lead

You would THINK it should have a remote turn on lead, but there isn't one that the installer can locate up near the stereo's wiring harness, unless he's a complete idiot, which I doubt. He's been doing these stereos for a long time.

I was told by the Ford Dealership service guy that the '04's are different than the '03's, and even he doesn't know where the turn-on lead is.

Anything else?

turn on the hu and use a multi meter to read the voltage of the wires the turn on for the amp just needs power to turn on u can over ride it simply by touching a wire to the remote in on the amp and chasis of the amp

mhn3773: YA THINK?! Try making full sentences next time. Go back to school.

There doesn't appear to be a turn-on lead that anybody can locate. Obviously, there is some kind of signal that goes to the sub-amp to turn it on, I want to take the guess-work out of the several hundred thousand wires that are in the dash. I'm asking for somebody who specifically has the knowledge of which wire and what is the mechanism? Some sub-amps will turn on when they detect pre-amp voltage. Some use a turn-on lead. some use a specific waveform...

May be time to go to the amp instead of the dash. If the amp does indeed have a traditional remote wire you should be able to find it at the amp itself.

Originally posted by zipwax
mhn3773: YA THINK?! Try making full sentences next time. Go back to school.

First off, cut the crap. You came here to ask a question, if someone replies and says something you don't think is correct or you have already tried, politely say thank you and leave it at that.

Originally posted by zipwax
There doesn't appear to be a turn-on lead that anybody can locate. Obviously, there is some kind of signal that goes to the sub-amp to turn it on, I want to take the guess-work out of the several hundred thousand wires that are in the dash. I'm asking for somebody who specifically has the knowledge of which wire and what is the mechanism? Some sub-amps will turn on when they detect pre-amp voltage. Some use a turn-on lead. some use a specific waveform...

I would start back at the harness for the amp. Find the +12v always on. Find the ground. Look for blue/blue-white wires. They are typically the REM leads. Try applying 12v to a lead once you test it's voltage with the VEH on an no voltage going through it. If you can be fairly confident that a specific wire could be the REM lead, tap 12v to it and see. That should get you in a good start.

Otherwise, picking up a service CD from Ford or a Haynes or Chilton's manual should give you some guidance on the electrical systems in the truck.

Are you saying the new HU has no power antenna lead or an amp turn on lead?

That would be very unusual.

He is saying he cannot determine which wire behind the dash correlates to the Stock subwoofer amp's remote turn on lead.

What the installer needs to do is reinstall the stock radio which should be easy to do and use a multi meter to locate the turn on lead for the sub amp. The sub leads should be about 3-4 wires in a harness. I have the 03 audiophile system and this is how i located the turn on lead for the sub amp and the dvd unit but I am no longer using the stock sub.

alright zipwax nextime i wont try to help you...and ur welcome i was just trying to help im sorry i dont type like i a writing an english essay

i do however hope u get your problem fixed so u can have a marry xmas

Originally posted by mhn3773
alright zipwax nextime i wont try to help you...and ur welcome i was just trying to help im sorry i dont type like i a writing an english essay

i do however hope u get your problem fixed so u can have a marry xmas

I saw where u where going so i hope my post cleared things up a bit. Nice of you to have a good attidude tho.

yah i tried to say what u did but the stupid filter in my brain just totaly messed my post up =)...i swear i knew that though.. hehe

i think on birth everyone should be givin a multimeter with instructions theres just soooooo many uses for a nice one amp draw ohms and volts could keep u busy in ur house or car all day =)

im still kinda baffeled why the new HU didnt have labeled wires or instructions unless they were trying to use the factory harnes? but if i wassent gunna use the stock amp I would have just run all new wires but thats me and i like to take things apart

No matter what harness you use you will need to tie the sub into it some how. I couldn't find a harness that would let me use the stock sub so I just pluged the stock radio back in, found which harness was for the sub and used the mutimeter to locate power then after testing the remaining wires to have no power i used a small old test speaker to locate the signal wires. The sub is a DVC *" and I think it's 60watts per coil at 1.3ohms each.

yah but u dont "need" a harnes do u? i didnt use any of the wireing in my car for my stereo..i try to fumble with the existing stuff but i found it to be easier and less stresfull to just run everything new

except the 12v switched power..i didnt understand that and i didnt want to kill my car lol

Back