2005 Explorer 5R55S replacement question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Explorer 5R55S replacement question

kanevas

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
Hi all - new posting to the forum although I've benefited over the years from your cumulative knowledge. I'm military, stationed in France, and have a transmission problem which, since Ford Explorers aren't sold here through Ford dealerships, is a huge PITA.

The tale of the fight (some of this data is provided based off of reading 1karkrazyguy's recommended info for forum transmission assistance):

1) 2005 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer, AWD, V-8, about 115k miles, stock, no transmission work in the past. I have not previously had any problems with the engine or the transmission and have never changed the transmission fluid. I also haven't observed the fluid. No electrical problems. In fact, the only problem I've ever had with the car is a TPMS indicator light issue in 2008 because of a poor job remounting the tires by a garage.
2) I have towed with it (my motorcycle on a trailer) twice across the US (NC to CA, CA to GA) and intermittently for short distances otherwise. I didn't know about turning off the O/D for the first tow to CA but did know about it for all others afterwards.
3) I was driving up hill when the check engine and the O/D lights came on (only family - no towing). The engine felt fine and there was no discernable issue with the transmission, gear change, etc. I pulled over, waited for about 15 minutes, restarted the car and no more lights so I continued driving.
4) About 45 minutes later, on another hill, the check engine and the overheated transmission lights both came on and I observed smoke coming from the front hood. Prior to the lights and smoke, there was no observable impact on the drive - all gears shifted fine and everything seemed smooth. Once this second incident occurred, I noticed that the gear shift seemed less smooth as I was pulling over.
5) Within about 30-seconds, I was able to pull over, cut the engine, and call for a tow truck.
6) Subsequently, at a French Ford dealer (using IDS), they ran a test and came up with the following codes: P0735, P0775, P1783. I understand that those are: 5th gear error, shorted PCB solenoid circuit, and TFT over 270 degrees, respectively.

Here's my dilemma: I think I'm basically stuck between two options. Either I try and get the problem(s) fixed by having someone tear apart the transmission or I just replace the transmission. Although transmission work is probably uncomfortable no matter where you go, it's doubly more uncomfortable in a country where they don't have Explorers and where it's tough discussing automotive mechanics in a foreign language (most of what I know I learned by reading this forum and then working on my car - again, thanks).

Although it's hard to quantify the risk involved, I tend to feel that it's safer buying a new/reman transmission, have it shipped to France, and just have a garage replace the transmission than trying to have someone tear it apart and begin troubleshooting. Given the dollar/Euro exchange rate, already painful prices in France, and potential labor costs incurred because of the unfamiliarity with working with the 5R55S transmission, that option has the potential to be... well... really, really painful.

Again, in France, I've called several Ford dealers and they all have balked at even working with the car because they aren't familiar with it and don't have any "procedures" to work on it (that includes "programming"?). Additionally, although there are "US" repair facilities in Germany (Ramstein Air Base is the closest), they are at least five hours away and present a whole separate host of logistical problems. I think that, ultimately, I will probably have to go through a French, non-Ford company that specializes in US cars (I believe the Mustang has the same transmission?).

Knowing that I will pay either way, I'm thinking that the trannie replacement could be the simplest and the cheapest (relatively) and am wondering what any of you might think?

Oh, and one final thing: my car is 3.5 hours away from me in Northern France (we were visiting OMAHA and UTAH beaches) so I can't even sit down with the car and tinker/troubleshoot.

I appreciate any assistance that the forum can provide. My wife and kids will thank you as well as soon I can get them off of the French public transportation system (reliability, timeliness, and the smell of urine are issues...).

v/r
Jim.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Honestly, I don't think any of our opinions matter. Seams to me, that getting another transmission would be best.
These trans suck when someone who knows what they are doing rebuilds them. So, someone in France?

It's really tough being in a foreign country and having car trouble in a place where you have language barriers and reluctant mechanics. I feel the same way whenever I go to the East coast. (J/K)

Is there a chance of selling it and buying something local? Or a chance the base might have a listing of trusted mechanics? I'm sure you're not the first who's had this problem and maybe there's a place that could do the work that's affiliated w/the base or at least familiar with the vehicle. I don't know.

If it was me, I'd probably go with the "buy" option.

Maybe a long shot would be to contact Ford USA and see if they have any recommended repair places in the area where the vehicle is located. I could see where Ford might be interested in helping out an active duty service member stationed overseas to get a repair on one of their vehicles.

I have just finished rebuilding my 5r55s it was my first auto trans. I am a mechanic with 26 years experience. It was not that bad to rebuild. If you want to get it rebuilt you have to go to a automatic rebuild place only. We have the same unit in the Jaguar S type so they should have some experience with them .
You will need to get the servo bore sleeved so you will need to ask if he has the sleeves and the tools to fit them i had my sleeves done in Germany for an agreed price of 170 euro.
You can order all parts needed from discountautoparts.com based in newyork and the shipped APO
You will need new tq converter master rebuild kit new servos shift kit i paid $1000
Or you may be able to ship a tranny from England UK We repair transmission like you do in the states and We speak fluent

[MENTION=226817]Number4[/MENTION]. If anything, you've let me know that replacing the transmission isn't necessarily a bad idea so thanks for that.

[MENTION=156612]D Hook[/MENTION]. Unfortunately, selling isn't really an option since the car was imported under USGOV orders and France, unlike Germany, is much more restrictive with respect to selling. The idea of reaching out to FordUSA is something I hadn't considered - thanks, I will try that. Unfortunately, there are no US military installations in France so I'm on my own. Although there is a USA expat community, most don't bring their US vehicles over with them unless they're USGOV. I've reached out internally and no one has had to deal with this here, at least not recently.

[MENTION=259229]Rickademus[/MENTION]. If 26 years as a mechanic = not that bad, then my 0 years as a mechanic = screwed. I know that's the math of a cynic but since I don't know what it means to sleeve the servo bore, I imagine it's probably not too far from my reality. If I end up with back-to-back overseas tours (likely), then I would feel less confident about the long-term viability of a rebuild versus a new/reman transmission.

Back