2005 Explorer Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Explorer Questions

Elevatorguy

Reaction score
Hi,
I was the owner of an 03 TrailBlazer which was recently totaled in an accident. I am now looking for a new SUV and am considering the Explorer as one of my choices. I liked the TB's power and am wondering how the Explorer with the V-6 compares in real world driving situations. Are there any options I should definitly buy or avoid? What are the major known problems with these trucks? Which rear end is best? I think the 3.55 comes standard, with the 3.73 and 4.11 as options. I know on the TrailBlazer, as odd as it seems, the 3.73 would consistently get better MPG than the 3.42 because it was better suited to keeping the engine in its powerband range, and it helped the heavy SUV get moving from a dead stop in city driving, which more than made up for any gain with the 3.42's on the highway. What are you guys with the V-6 and 4WD getting for MPG average? Like I said, I am looking at getting an new SUV very soon and the Explorer seems to have some great deals out on it. What is everyone getting of sticker price? If anyone has any other comments they will certainly be appreciated, and thank you in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Love the way the TB looks! I wonder what kind of problems the guys at the TB Forum are having... as far as the Explorer, if I was in the market for one, it HAS to have the V8. All other options are far secondary.

x-factor,
Thanks for the reply. Why the 8 cylinder? I am looking for fuel economy over acceleration and I don't tow anything. I do drive about 25-30k a year though, and that's why I need something that will get around 20 mpg.

Thanks

On the '05, the V8 only gets 2 hwy mpg less than the V6... plus the V8 will give you 29 more HP and Torque. Believe me you won't miss that 2 mpg.

I have a new 2005 I purchased about 2 weeks ago. Its got the towing package and the 3.73 gears.Although I do not have a long history with it yet, I am not getting near 20 MPG. I did play around off road for about 1/2 a tank, so that is skewing the numbers a bit.

It seems the TB has a much more powerful set of engines. Fuel mileage is rated similar between the 2.

Personnally I love more powerful engines. I choose Ford over Chevy from personal experience and perceived build quality. In my opinion, the Explorer is built better and with higher quality materials than the chevy. Thats just my feeling though.

Ive owned 2 chevy products and 6 Fords. Never had a problem with any of the Fords, but the 2 chevys were always having issues.

With all that, the only concern I have is that the TB you had is rated at 275 HP, and the Explorer is at 210. You might find it seems underpowered as you are used to having more. I dont have any problem passing or merging on the freeway. But one on one against the TB, and it seems the TB will be able to out accelerate the Explorer.

Before I sold my 02 Explorer, I was getting around 12 mpg! I now own a 2005 Toyota Sequioa (V8) and average around 17mpg. Go with the V8!

I HAVE a 2002 that i have had since November it had 88000 miles on it and now it has about 96000 on it. bought it for me and now since we are in the wonderful snow area which got a record snowfall this year,Anyway my wife drives it about 45 miles each way to work and she driveslike an old lady...
she is getting about 14 to 17 miles to the gallon...
kinda sucks with the gas prices getting so high,
it is 4wd 4dr 6cyl with every option...
did wish it got better gas mileage,going to take it to ford shortly and get the 95000 or 100000 mile check up.
maybe that has something to do with it..
the only problem i have had was a rear wheel bearing which was a little pricey because it was a whle hub assembly,It came from an auction which the vehicle originated in Nova Scotia and it was part of DEA that is what I got from Car Fax..
anyway beides that I love it it seats 7 so that is nice at times...I did wish it had a little more ground clearance I got stuck in a stupid small snow pile once after nearly 29 inches of snow one day...

anyway I love it and would buy another one maybe with a little better gas mileage which probably isn;t possible,

i think the 4.0L V6 has plenty of power. I work at a Ford Dealer and they move around nicely, there is a difference with the V8 for sure, but the V6 is more than adequate. Our pool car (what we use to do errands and such at the dealer) is an 05 XLT 4.0 V6 4x4 and i checked the info center today and it said it was averaging 17.2

I dont know much about the v8s beside they have a stronger tranny, but the v6s are pretty much bullit proof, I have 125k on mine now with nothing but maintnance, probably needs a tuneup but I'll worry about that when it really needs it.

You have a different V6 then this one. Your's is the old 4.0 OHV motor, the new Explorers have the SOHC 4.0.

I have a 02 XLS with the 4.0 and i get 16.875 miles per gallon city. My X has 91,000 miles on it. I run 89 octane and a semi-synthedic oil. I got that number because I usally fill up at 270 miles and i figure I put about 16 gallons in it each time.

I have to admit the newer trailblazers seem to have a better build quality. But so long as the rear end problems on the explorers have been solved I'd go with an Explorer. The inline6 doesn't appeal to me, its american to have a V8. I was a blazer guy for a long time and had nothing but problems with them. Much happier with the Explorer.

Back