2005 Explorer XLT 4.0 V6 (throttle body and cold air intake) HELP!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Explorer XLT 4.0 V6 (throttle body and cold air intake) HELP!!!

$ilent$eal

Reaction score
City, State
Everett Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT
Hi there everybody. Ok my problem is I went online and ordered an AFE cold air intake kit, took it to get installed and found out the stock air box has the plastic moulded around the intake tube, no way to remove it obviously. The model of AFE I ordered was #54-10001, now even on the box it says for explorer 2001-2005 which seems like false advertising to me. Don't know if I can take it back seeing as I have had it in my possession for 5 months. So question is where can I find a cold air intake kit for a 05 V6 4.0l XLT explorer?

Ok next problem is I also ordered a Helix power tower plus throttle body spacer. The guy doing the install said it was too big and would not fit??? This was model #40035 and this too on the box said 2002-2007 ford ranger/ ford explorer sport 4.0L . Again Does anybody know where I can get a spacer (that will fit) on my 05 XLT V6 4.0L truck???

At this point I an completely drained as it took me a long time just to find these parts for this somewhat overlooked engine and year, looks like if I had a V8 then there are parts-a-plenty to be had. :rolleyes:

David..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats just what I was looking for thanks!

you know fyi i have noticed that the 02 and 04 4.0L and the 04-05 4.0L have different throttle bodies. The 04's and up are smaller than the 02-03's.

So.... saying that, did you return that TB spacer? I am willing to take it off your hands if the price is resonable.

I am not sure that I've seen anyone use this yet, but what about this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-9405/
Looks like it comes with tubes that fit inside the new housing as well as MAF wire adapter plates so that you could retrofit the 04+ MAFs to work with any CAI kit designed for the earlier models.

At only 32 bucks I might risk getting one to see if it works.....I'm tired of waiting for Volant to come out with a kit for the 04+ Explorers.

yes that does work i have used it on my 03 and its alot cheaper at autozone. when you buy it buy a extra spectre gasket and take the clamp of the relocator put on the extra gasket and you are able to use your existing hose so all you need is that and a filter

Throttle body spacers are snake oil. Save your cash boys.

Just build your own, not hard to do at all...

Hi there everybody. Ok my problem is I went online and ordered an AFE cold air intake kit, took it to get installed and found out the stock air box has the plastic moulded around the intake tube, no way to remove it obviously. The model of AFE I ordered was #54-10001, now even on the box it says for explorer 2001-2005 which seems like false advertising to me. Don't know if I can take it back seeing as I have had it in my possession for 5 months. So question is where can I find a cold air intake kit for a 05 V6 4.0l XLT explorer?

Ok next problem is I also ordered a Helix power tower plus throttle body spacer. The guy doing the install said it was too big and would not fit??? This was model #40035 and this too on the box said 2002-2007 ford ranger/ ford explorer sport 4.0L . Again Does anybody know where I can get a spacer (that will fit) on my 05 XLT V6 4.0L truck???

At this point I an completely drained as it took me a long time just to find these parts for this somewhat overlooked engine and year, looks like if I had a V8 then there are parts-a-plenty to be had. :rolleyes:

David..

I cut my MAF tube away from the air box lid and just used that. I have some pics somewhere - here:

K&N Pod:
1-Engine_Bay_1-med.jpg

K&N with heat shield/cover
4-Engine_Bay_Filter_Shroud3-med.jpg

Cobra-R type Pod in a box:
BA_Pod_1.jpg

Both the above the above use the cut MAF tube - important thing is to keep the mounting holes part of the airbox attached to the plastic tube so you can bolt it up to whatever pod adapter you want.

you know fyi i have noticed that the 02 and 04 4.0L and the 04-05 4.0L have different throttle bodies. The 04's and up are smaller than the 02-03's.

So.... saying that, did you return that TB spacer? I am willing to take it off your hands if the price is resonable.

I was able to return both items! :D

And I like the tube modification pictures, I dont have many tools for doing that, and I would be afraid I would f**k it up, lol.

That KKM Intake System is great, have it on mine and love it...
Hey- just bought an 05 XLT 4.0V6 - wanting to install an intake kit for better MPG's and to get a better sound from under the hood. I see you installed the KKM product on your truck. Any noticeable MPG increase? Did you end up with a deeper engine drone? -Thats mostly what Im looking for.

I called kkm and they said that there intakes are not certified. i was wondering if i do it like the above pics and just cut the box off and put a k&N filter if it will still pass smog. cuz i had that problem with my maxima i put a cold air intake in it and lost the factory one and when i went to smog it i was screwed had to buy the oem part.

Hey- just bought an 05 XLT 4.0V6 - wanting to install an intake kit for better MPG's and to get a better sound from under the hood. I see you installed the KKM product on your truck. Any noticeable MPG increase? Did you end up with a deeper engine drone? -Thats mostly what Im looking for.

Let me know if you're interested in selling your stock take-off. Looking for one for an '02 4.0 V-6.

Back