• Register Today It's free!

2005 Explorers AWD ?

05xltSport

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT
I am getting ready to buy a 2005 XLT and I can't figure out if all 2005 models operate in AWD or 2wd when you start the engine. It doesn't say in the Ford brochure and I can't get a straight answer from the salesmen. I see the 3 push buttons on the dash for 4x4 high and low but I have not seen a 2wd button like the twist knob on a 2005 Expedition.
I would prefer to buy a 2wd model, but in my city, 99.9% of all Explorers are 4x4 models.

Thanks
Todd5.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think you can find a straight 2wd option. I wanted that but I sure as hell couldn't find one. Also would of like a manual lever too instead of pushbutton.

2wd models are available, but will almost all be sent to the south. As for the ControlTrac at start-up, I believe there is always a little power sent to the front wheels, then if there is wheel slip, more is sent.

ControlTrac comes on when there is a difference in Front and Rear Axles spin rates. It will be always on, but not activated. If the two axles spin at different speeds ControlTrac will engage the front Axle and then turn it off after a short period of time, then on, then off as needed,

Explorer comes in 3 ways
2wd must order that way.
ControlTrac – Mostly 2WD turns on when needed
AWD – Always on, always ready, think snowmobile with leather buckets . .

Also search the other forums this system (ControlTrac) has been around for a while.

lol, that's just funny. We have the exact opposite problem here. Out of the 25 or so explorers the local dealer has, none are 4 wheel drive, all are 2wd...Of course we don't know what Snow is down here either.

For 2005, if I recall correctly, there was no AWD option. It was either 2WD or Control Trac 4WD. If you wanted AWD in 2005, you had to go with the Mountaineer. On the 2004 model, you were able to get AWD in an Explorer.

Big Al XLT said:
For 2005, if I recall correctly, there was no AWD option. It was either 2WD or Control Trac 4WD. If you wanted AWD in 2005, you had to go with the Mountaineer. On the 2004 model, you were able to get AWD in an Explorer.

i also recall hearing that from the dealership.

jrford said:
ControlTrac comes on when there is a difference in Front and Explorer comes in 3 ways
2wd must order that way.
ControlTrac – Mostly 2WD turns on when needed
AWD – Always on, always ready, think snowmobile with leather buckets . .

2wd isn't something that has to be ordered to be built, just go to a lot in Florida or Texas. In Michigan you are going to be hard pressed to find one on the lot though. The new car shipments are similar to what we did with the off-lease vehicles--all 4wd were sent to the north, 2wd SUVs and trucks were sent south (black cars were also kept from the south).

Back