• Register Today It's free!

Buying 2005 XLT Sport

mgmgmg

Reaction score
City, State
Plymouth, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 LTD '10 LTD V8
My 94 Ltd winter beater rusted out, I'm looking at a 2005 xlt sport for my next winter suv. I'll post ad.
Is there any thing I should worry about. I know nothing of 3rd Gen Explorers? Would the V8 be better? Price etc...

Thanks

2005 FORD EXPLORER XLT 4X4

In regard to the 3rd and 4th gen models, I would recommend getting a V8 if you can find one or find a V6 that has had the timing chains and guides replaced if it is over 125k miles. IMO, the best models to buy for reliability is first a V8 2006-2010 as these have the most reliable engine/transmission combination. Next would be the 2002-2005 V8 models but the transmissions in them, and the 4.0L V6s, can have issues resulting in a high probability of needing rebuilt/replaced as the miles rack up. The 4.0L engines are prone to issues with timing chains/guides and this is an expensive repair if being done by a shop since the engine needs to be removed to do this work. The V8 models get about the same gas mileage as the 4.0L V6s and the 2006-2010 V8s get better mpg than the 2002-2005 V8s and 2002-2010 V6s due to them having three valve heads with variable valve timing and a six speed transmission. Plus, if the V8s ever need the timing chains/guides replaced the engine does not have to be removed which keeps the cost of this repair reasonable.

In regard to the 3rd and 4th gen models, I would recommend getting a V8 if you can find one or find a V6 that has had the timing chains and guides replaced if it is over 125k miles. IMO, the best models to buy for reliability is first a V8 2006-2010 as these have the most reliable engine/transmission combination. Next would be the 2002-2005 V8 models but the transmissions in them, and the 4.0L V6s, can have issues resulting in a high probability of needing rebuilt/replaced as the miles rack up. The 4.0L engines are prone to issues with timing chains/guides and this is an expensive repair if being done by a shop since the engine needs to be removed to do this work. The V8 models get about the same gas mileage as the 4.0L V6s and the 2006-2010 V8s get better mpg than the 2002-2005 V8s and 2002-2010 V6s due to them having three valve heads with variable valve timing and a six speed transmission. Plus, if the V8s ever need the timing chains/guides replaced the engine does not have to be removed which keeps the cost of this repair reasonable.
Well put

Back