2005 Ford Explorer 4.0L V6 Tuning results. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Ford Explorer 4.0L V6 Tuning results.

MVP'S ZO6

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLS
2005 Ford Explorer 4.0L V6 Tuning results.

I have a friend who owns a dyno, he gave me the keys to his shop and said lock up when I'm done. Anyway, I threw my 05 explorer 4.0L V6 on the dyno to do some tuning using HP Tuners. Keep in mind HP Tuners is relatively new to the ford world as am I. I'm still very much learning fords logic as it pertains to their computer. I'm a GM guy and all I can say is they're different.

The vehicle is bone stock (Zero mods). The initial base line pull was 151Peak WHP and 174 Peak WTQ (not pictured in the graph.

After adjusting the Lambda richer, it made 160 Peak WHP and 188 Peak WTQ and about lambda .95 up top.

Final numbers were 180 Peak WHP and 199.07 Peak WTQ. And lambda .85 uptop. Along with some timing.

it averaged 11 WHP from 3000 - 4,700 and averaged 19 WHP from 4,800 - 5,400 RPM. I couldn't lock the Converter in either the base line or Calibration modding pulls. I did make all pulls in 3rd. Average 12 ftlbs from 3,500 - 5,500 RPM and 17 ftlbs from 4,900 - 5,400 RPM

53D15BDC-210D-4C73-AE92-AA11FAE3FD88.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Still not bad for the ole 4.0!

I need you to come tune my 06 ION Redline! The last guy that said he knew what he was doing with HPT melted a hole the size of a quarter in one of my pistons!!

Did I mention it has about 118K on it?

Im actually familiar with the LSJ. I used to own an Ion Redline. I was one of the first people (if not the first) to bolt an LSJ head to a forged 2.4L LE5 short block and get it to work with the Redline PCM.

I wonder what mine would be at with a Gibson cat-back, and silencer delete off the airbox and a K&N drop in filter. Feels a little more peppy than when I got it.

I wonder what mine would be at with a Gibson cat-back, and silencer delete off the airbox and a K&N drop in filter. Feels a little more peppy than when I got it.

I'm sure it would be more.

I plan on adding exhaust and a CAI, (though I can't find one for mine so I'll probably just build one myself). I want to to be a true CAI though.

The cool thing about NA engines with simple bolt on engines is you have to be very reckless when tuning in order to screw them up. You don't need to really go hog wild on adjusting stuff. In fact, regardless on what I'm tuning I think it's important to understand that there's a lot of development these engineers put into these things. That should be respected and understood. This may get taken the wrong way but if it's not necessary to change something with in a tune, I don't. That raises the age old question on what do you have to change and what don't you? That unfortunately can't be summed up with a blanket statement. It takes time. Tuning simetimes can be an art form.

Anyone with a desire to learn and a basic understanding of high school math, can learn to tune.

I will admit I'm still learning things about these fords even though tuning principals are the same regardless of make.

Do you guys know of anyone who's cam swapped one of these suv's?

Back