2005 Ford Explorer XLS Sprt, Random Hesitations and die offs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Ford Explorer XLS Sprt, Random Hesitations and die offs

Cchance

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford explorer xls sp
First off, i would like to say Hello to everyone, as this is my first post. Please forgive me if i am not up to standards on etiquette.

I have a 2005 Ford Explorer XLS Sport edition with just under 80,000 miles on it. It does have a warrenty on it via its financing company however its a bit out of pocket for it so im hoping that with my handy skills that i may be able to fix this problem myself. I've seen a lot of forum posts come close to mine, and even my mother-in-law has helped in some matter as pointing me in the right direction.

We purchased our vehicle back in September, got it home with a Tire Pressure fault which the dealership is working on fixing, but the biggest problem that i have is that the vehicle, at random times, with almost no consistency, will start to sputter, jump, and then eventually as the RPMs go too low, die off. It doesn't do it in the mornings, it doesn't do it after a long trip. Just when ever it feels like it, where ever. (Its done it most promenently at intersections, but its also done it in a parking lot after being parked for five minutes and starting back up) Ive seen talk of my fuel filter, fuel pump, inertia sensor switch, hoses, etc. But im just not sure where to start looking for this issue. A gas treatment does seem to help, however that in itself may just be a placebo. I use recently SeaFoam, and more recently a 3000 mile fuel cleaning system that seems to help. It does seem to have the issue when the fuel tank goes low, however it doesn't do it all the time. Sometimes when it gets filled up it may do it, other times it wont, likewise when its getting low. When the issue does arise where the vehicle starts to kill over, if it dies by itself, i get a "Low Oil Pressure" message. But we usually try our best to stop it before hand to try to save the catalytic converters.

If anyone has any ideas, or any incite please help. We just bought this vehicle its got to last a little while

Back