2005 ford explorer xlt 4.0L p0320 & p2106 safe engine failure mode | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 ford explorer xlt 4.0L p0320 & p2106 safe engine failure mode

Rodn328

Reaction score
City, State
Sebring ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ford explorer
I have a 2005 ford explorer xlt 4.0L
I was driving down the freeway and got off the ramp as soon as i was sitti g at the light my wrench light came on and failure safe engine light and it wanted to stall. Let it sit till my lunch break and went out to pull it off the road so it would not get towed started up drove to the parking lot and ran fine.seems to act up at engine temperature. Got code p0320 and p2106 .replaced thottle body and erased computer and relearned computer waited for enging temperature for relearn to.drive about 4 blocks and same thing happen like the first problem. Any idea?

check your crankshaft position sensor (CKP) it will stall or not start if it's bad completely. It might be partially working for now.

p2106 is just a result of the other code, nothing wrong with your throttle body.

check your crankshaft position sensor (CKP) it will stall or not start if it's bad completely. It might be partially working for now.

p2106 is just a result of the other code, nothing wrong with your throttle body.
Just had the guy go out and try to start it and it won't so i am thinking it is what you just mention could it be the cam sensor to ? Thanks for tip also

Found out it what it was .it was the crank sensor. Went to put new ine in and it would not line up. Looked at the harmonic balanceer and its bad . that explains everthing cause i just replaced the alternator due to a squell and put a new one in and still had the squell and i also repkaced the belt and tensioner. As well. And i watched my belt on the alternator bounce. So i went to a smaller belt which i could not understand if i put on the new one which was the same size of the old one and it still squealed. Well now i know what caused the crank sensor to go bad and i seen a video on youtube about bad hominic balancer on explorers. And everything the guy mentioned was to the t of what mine did a month ago. So time for a new hominic balancer . i want to thank everyone for the tips and have a merry christmas and a happy year .

Back