2005 transmission issues, just need some clarification. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 transmission issues, just need some clarification.

Cowens726

Reaction score
City, State
Salem, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT
OK, so before I get flamed, I just want to confirm my my thoughts and current plan of action. I have a 2005 Explorer 4.0 with 150,x.. miles on it. I do understand and have researched the common issues with these transmissions but I just want to know if my thoughts are in the right direction.

A couple of weeks ago traveling home from a slightly extended drive, foul weather etc., pushing harder on the freeway than necessary I had a weird shift into OD and then got the OD flashy light. Finished the trip home 150ish miles limping along sorta, not sure what gear it was in but at 70 the engine was turning 3000ism rpm. I wont go into too much detail but it truly sounds like the OD/2 band solenoid/servo has crapped the bed or band has broken entirely. I am getting a P0732, 0735, and 0775 code.

About 20,000 miles ago I dropped the pan replaced the filter and added new fluid, original fluid looked pretty good for 130,x.. miles. What I'm thinking is do the same thing, see what the fluid looks like, if it looks burnt to crap then I'm dicked but if decent check the band then do the servo (servo/solenoid get them confused) fix. I've watched the videos on the intermediate and 2nd/od servo replacement and confident I can do it. I just want to know if I have looked into the right areas with this thing.

This isn't a daily driver but handy to have as a 3rd rig, it isn't worth dumping a a ton of money into but for a couple hundred and do the solenoid/servo fix I can justify the work and money.

Thank you.
Cory

Back