please check this out need some clarification | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

please check this out need some clarification

HUNTER13

Reaction score
City, State
rowlett tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 limited explorer
hey guys i cant tell yall how much i am in love with this site theres so much helpful info its amazing however im pretty confused about the whole gear and axle thing and need some experts advice soo hear it is i have a 96 limited x with the 3in bl and shack and tt runnin 33x12.5 km2s:D:thumbsup: however my gears are 3.73s and idk whether to go 4.10s or 4.56 im leaning towards 4.56s also my axle code is d4 which if im not wrong means i have the 3.73s limited slip so bottom line i need to know how to find what axles i need and from where and if i could the cheepest routes always better thankssssss soooo much guyssss

sorry bout the length but i wanna do it right the first time thanks

From what I hear the 4.56 ratio is the way to go because it will put you right back at the ratio you were at with stock tires and 3.73 I think. 4.56 will also let you go bigger in the future if you want to from what I have read. On the other hand you can get a set of 4.10 axles and just swap them out with your old ones and this would be a little bit cheaper as I think axles average around $200-$300 from junkyards. This is compared to the $180 plus installation price of each new 4.56 gear set which can easily be around 1k. unless you do the installation yourself, but even that can get pricey due to the kits and tools you have to buy.

now lets see if anyone a bit more experienced in the matter can chip in on this

I'm satisfied with 4.10s on 33s, but you can do what Yount said and just get some junkyard 4.10s in stead of going 4.56.

Back