So many issues - just one post :)

babychipmunk

Reaction score
City, State
California - Living in Warsaw, PL for now
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 4WD XLT
Hello Hello

I purchased a 97' Ford Explorer in early December. It's made it two months before it decided to take a turn for the worst.

I own a 97' 4WD XLT. V6 4.0. How do I know if it's OHC or SOHC? I saw something about eighth digit into the VIN. However Eight digits in there is neither a X or an E. It is safe to post the VIN or?

Secondly, my front upper control arms are shot. So I am replacing mine via napa with this item. One for passenger and driver. Now, just to make sure that is telling me that YES the ball joint is included right?
https://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=MRC10721_0229052040

The part list, lists two separate ball joints so I wanted to make sure. Additionally they have labor charges for both the ball joints and control arms. So I wanted to confirm so I can tell them to scratch the labor on the ball joint installation if it's an all in one.

The mechanic also said the sway bar bushings in the front and rear are bad. I don't have access to the vehicle as I am having the timing replaced as we speak. So I figured I'd go ahead and get those online as well and have them replace those since the labor is only $20 each.

Additionally they said my rear differential shock absorber is bad. However, I have been told this isn't a must fix because this is a third shock for the 4WD. Can this wait?

I have more issues, mainly with a check engine light and the gas guzzling. The check engine test came back clear, de nada. I was told the light was because while coming through the embassy checkpoint they take the gas cap off and this causes issues. So I'm thinking faulty gas cap? But...wouldn't this cause the light to give a reason why??? Since I've had the vehicle I've never removed the gas cap with the engine on. And I can't imagine why taking it off to check when the engine is off would cause this. Any thoughts!? It doesn't click when I turn it, something I am use to with other cars but this is the oldest vehicle I've driven. :D

Secondly, the gas. Oh that damn gas mileage. With European gas costs, I'm drowning. I'm getting 150 miles per tank as we speak. The shop says it's because the person I bought it from never changed the sparks/wires (in the past three years I'm sure she did at one point but not as of late). So the sparks are in bad shape. So I'm getting that all tuned up. Would sparks / wires alone cause such a huge loss in gas mileage? Or should I further investigate?

Aww well, if I haven't lost you. I appreciate your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SOHC or OHV?

If you can't tell by the VIN then look at the left valve cover. If there is an electrical connection to something (camshaft position sensor) about a fourth of the way aft from the front (past the oil filler tube) then you have the SOHC.

Doesn't the SOHC say "SOHC" on the plastic intake cover? And the OHV says "4.0L"?

Doesn't the SOHC say "SOHC" on the plastic intake cover? And the OHV says "4.0L"?

yes, unless someone has removed the plastic engine cover and never put it back on.

Hmm... alright, so there's no way to know without having the vehicle physically. Unfortunately it's not out of the shop until Thursday.

I want to order the spark plugs/wires now though. Maybe I have it on some paperwork somewhere.

How about the upper control arms. Are those correct? There seems to be two different types. Thank you.

most upper control arms come with a new joint ready to go with a nipple to grease it.

as for the check engine light try disconnecting the neg on your battery and waiting a min or two for it to reset and see if that gets rid of the light.

Is your 8th digit a P? You can wait on the 3rd shock, a lot of people just remove them when they go bad.

Perhaps I'll crawl under there and just remove it then, if it's a source of ruckus. I don't recall hearing it before I heard the front end, minus speed bumps.

Regarding the VIN, I just took a second look at my number. I think I wrote down one number too few, as the seventh letter is infact an E and the 9th which would be the 10th is a V, which according to Wiki it should be for the year. Sooooo I think I'm set, I have the SOHC. :0)

Thank you!

When you said you were getting the timing replaced that's when I knew you had the SOHC, lol. :p

For the balljoints, on the Explorers each side is different for the uppers.

Back