2006 Explorer XLS with several codes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer XLS with several codes

HeathAU25

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer
Hey guys,

New to the forum and relatively new to the Explorer, so please excuse the lack of knowledge! It's been my wife's car for several years and we married a little over a year ago. A few years back, it started pushing the p0455 code, I changed the gas cap, all was good. Several months back, the light came on again, and we've kind of ignored it - it shows up on the dash as the gas cap light, and then turns on the generic engine light.

Today, accelerating from a stop, I noticed what felt like cylinder misfires (rough acceleration with stop and go of power). Immediately after this, the engine light (which has been on for a while) started flashing - about 30 flashes. So I pulled into O'Reilly and had them run the codes because I knew this was a bit bigger of a deal than the gas cap.

List of codes:
p0455 - evap control system leak detected (no purge flow or large leak)
p2196 - lack of HO2S-11 switch, sensor indicates RICH
p0053 - HO2S Heater Resistance (Bank 1, Sensor 1)
p0132 - ? - something with O2
p0300 - RANDOM MISFIRE DETECTED
p0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
p0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
p0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected

The car shudders on rare occasions when idling, but never kills.
93,000 miles, one owner, well taken care of.
Is it possible that this is simply an 02 sensor issue, or is this a much bigger deal?

Also, airbag light comes on every now and then - not sure if this is related. And this may be normal, but the parking lights (turn indicators) flash once quickly when cranking the car. Is this normal?

Thanks for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let start with what Engine do you have in this vehicle? When were the Plugs changed if ever?

Ignoring the Check engine light is never good, just because you thought it was the gas cap it could have been other issues that were hidden due to the light having been on already. You might have a O2 sensor issue but I think you have a bit more going on and perhaps a PCM replacement is in your future!

Ha I know I've been bad ignoring it, but I was waiting for a free weekend to troubleshoot (just bought a house... fixer upper).

V6 4.0L

Just bought a house! Now your out of the frying pan and into the fire!

When was the truck last serviced?
When were the Plugs and wires changed?
Did Oreillys delete the codes and reset the check engine light?

Exactly! Floors, AC repair, hot water heater, etc. Now to the cars haha. It gets the basics (oil changes every ~3500), but other than that, no problems with the truck at all. Asking the wife right now, and it doesn't sound like the spark plugs/wires/distributor cap have ever been changed so this may be at least part of the issue. Also fuel filter is most likely overdue for replacement. O'Reilly didn't delete the codes or reset or anything. So I guess start at these basics, then if that doesn't work, take it in for more diagnostics?

Well your only going to have to change plugs and wires since it a distributor less ignition, so unless a coil pack has gone bad you should be ok. O2 sensor reading can go all off the map when the computer is trying to over compensate. A bit of advice when it comes to plugs and wires get the best you can afford from a good reputable manufacture! The job is not overly difficult and you should be able to knock it out in a about 2 hours taking your time!

Excellent, thank you very much, polizi. Used to doing simple stuff on an 87 camaro so this is a bit different. Let's just say the spark plugs look waaay easier to get to in the Explorer.

You are welcome Heath, Keeps us updated how it goes if this fixes the issue or not! If you need more help just ask!!

Well, changed out the plugs and wires and the car is still randomly losing power - sometimes acceleration is absolutely normal, and sometimes it's pretty rough. Taking it to a local shop and will keep you guys updated. Thanks again for the help.

The local shop here said that he's driven it twice, felt the symptoms and misfires, cleared the codes, drove again and all 7 codes showed up at the same time. He seems to think it is the PCM that is acting up, and the dealership is my only option now. Does this sound right to you guys? Just sucks because the next available appointment at the dealer is Aug 7.

I also have multiple codes, some same as yours, I'm bringing the truck to the dealer tomorrow. I will post the uddate...

......Just sucks because the next available appointment at the dealer is Aug 7.

That's absurd. It sounds like where we are headed with Obamacare!:thumbdwn:

Fuel filter is supposed to be changed every 30K miles so if it has not been done then it needs to get done ASAP before anything else is done and then go from there. I would also check your charging system and see how good your battery is. If it is still the original then it most likely needs to get replaced and can be causing funky airbag light stuff on startup.

Wait a second... this is an old thread that got resurrected from the dead with no final solution posted on it!!
loo010970 try my suggestions and see where that gets you.

I also have multiple codes, some same as yours, I'm bringing the truck to the dealer tomorrow. I will post the uddate...

It seems from another thread that the issue for this individual was that the wiring harness going to the PCM was severely damaged.

Back