2006 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0ltr transmission problem unlike anything I've seen. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0ltr transmission problem unlike anything I've seen.

Witsend06

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
2006 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0ltr 5R55S automatic transmission just over 171k miles. Ran excellently until last December. When it finally fell victim to the a/c condensation tube that drains onto the solenoid block pigtail connector debacle. Causing the solenoid block to suddenly fail. After replacing the solenoid block then using a "linemens splice" on a new pigtail connector. Cutting, splicing, then soldering one wire at a time. And using heat shrink tubing to waterproof each individual splice before proceeding to the next wire (for accuracy). Then after the repair was finished, I added about 5.5-6 quarts of Valvoline Mercon V atf. Thru the nipple that attaches to the fill hole in the drain plug. And warmed up my Explorer in place for about 25-30 minutes(it was low 30's°). It potentially had maybe .5-1.0 quarts excess atf. Turned it off and then flashed the K.A.M. by disconnecting the negative battery wire, isolating it from the negative terminal. Using alligator clips and a piece of wire connecting the still attached to the battery positive terminal, to the isolated negative terminal (to reset the adaptive shift tables). After 10-12 minutes, reattached the negative cable, turned the ignition to the accessories position and waited about 2-3 minutes, before turning it over and then letting it idle for about 10 minutes. During which I started it up again, and shifted thru all the gears R-1 while waiting about 30 seconds per year, and repeated one or twice more to let the fluid circulate thru the system. Every trouble code was gone, and no others appeared. With the thought of the repairs behind me I shifted it into reverse. And nothing happened, I didn't mean inch. Refusing to admit defeat I stared to repeatedly shift into each year and wait for 30 seconds or more. Eventually I could feel it trying to move just a hint forwards and in reverse. Eventually after getting he rpm up to about 2,000-2,500rpm, it reverse caught hesitantly and I backed out of the drive. When I shifted to drive to start forward, I'd to get it to about the same rpm as it took to move in reverse. No shuddering just lethargic momentum at first. Drove for about 15 minutes and returned, drained off the excess art. And did another test. Nothing changed at all. Drive it at least 75 miles almost all under 45mph. still no change. Replaced solenoid block again, still no change. Checked fluid levels on level ground, even had a level on the frame for accuracy. Nothing has changed, no codes present, limited power in reverse or 1st after its idled for 15min and warmed up. All years seem to be functioning and have had it over 70mph. Some shift flares, but the speed, gear it's in when it happens, nothing is repeating. Sometimes feels like it's came out of gear and rpms rise. Other times no problem at all. It might be 10 minutes or 10 seconds between instances.
I've spent 2months reading manuals, talking to others while attempting to diagnose the thing and I'm stumped. Had a transmission shop check it out. Only had P1700 a generic code, and it hasn't repeated a single time, no other codes. And all gears work.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Need to know what the hydraulic pressure the pump is putting out. A 0-300 psi gauge installed into the hydraulic test port, then have a helper operate the shift lever and RPM while you watch the gauge.

Maybe the clutch packs are slipping until you get it into a high enough rpm? Not sure but it's a guess?

Need to know what the hydraulic pressure the pump is putting out. A 0-300 psi gauge installed into the hydraulic test port, then have a helper operate the shift lever and RPM while you watch the gauge.
Thank you very much for your reply!
I've been thinking basically in the same general train of thought. I've even tried to have a shop perform a pressure test. But after talking to the service manager at a local shop. The mechanic I'd scheduled with didn't even show up. Then upon realizing they didn't have a clue what they were talking about I walked out.
Where's the hydraulic test port located at?

Just in case anyone has similar issues with their 06 Ex.XLT 4.0ltr 4x4 w/5R55S transmission identical to mine.
I believe that the problem with my transmission is more than likely a bad overdrive sprag or direct one way clutch. Why it's not throwing the P1700 code again, beats me?
I'm going to presume this is a "may or may not throw a code" situation.

Do you have a code reader or a good diagnosis scanner that will give you real time transmission data. If not find a shop that can do that for you.

Do you have a code reader or a good diagnosis scanner that will give you real time transmission data. If not find a shop that can do that for you.
That's part of the problem, there are no codes present. I finally ended up just pulling the trans. Purchased a salvage trans, and a new torque converter.
When I pulled the old transmission out and reinstalled the torque converter. It would slide on the splines until it was rubbing on the bell housing or pump face! That was the last straw, when I boutght the used transmission and new torque converter. I've also installed a new torque converter seal. And tonight I'm going to install it.

2006 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0ltr 5R55S automatic transmission just over 171k miles. Ran excellently until last December. When it finally fell victim to the a/c condensation tube that drains onto the solenoid block pigtail connector debacle. Causing the solenoid block to suddenly fail. After replacing the solenoid block then using a "linemens splice" on a new pigtail connector. Cutting, splicing, then soldering one wire at a time. And using heat shrink tubing to waterproof each individual splice before proceeding to the next wire (for accuracy). Then after the repair was finished, I added about 5.5-6 quarts of Valvoline Mercon V atf. Thru the nipple that attaches to the fill hole in the drain plug. And warmed up my Explorer in place for about 25-30 minutes(it was low 30's°). It potentially had maybe .5-1.0 quarts excess atf. Turned it off and then flashed the K.A.M. by disconnecting the negative battery wire, isolating it from the negative terminal. Using alligator clips and a piece of wire connecting the still attached to the battery positive terminal, to the isolated negative terminal (to reset the adaptive shift tables). After 10-12 minutes, reattached the negative cable, turned the ignition to the accessories position and waited about 2-3 minutes, before turning it over and then letting it idle for about 10 minutes. During which I started it up again, and shifted thru all the gears R-1 while waiting about 30 seconds per year, and repeated one or twice more to let the fluid circulate thru the system. Every trouble code was gone, and no others appeared. With the thought of the repairs behind me I shifted it into reverse. And nothing happened, I didn't mean inch. Refusing to admit defeat I stared to repeatedly shift into each year and wait for 30 seconds or more. Eventually I could feel it trying to move just a hint forwards and in reverse. Eventually after getting he rpm up to about 2,000-2,500rpm, it reverse caught hesitantly and I backed out of the drive. When I shifted to drive to start forward, I'd to get it to about the same rpm as it took to move in reverse. No shuddering just lethargic momentum at first. Drove for about 15 minutes and returned, drained off the excess art. And did another test. Nothing changed at all. Drive it at least 75 miles almost all under 45mph. still no change. Replaced solenoid block again, still no change. Checked fluid levels on level ground, even had a level on the frame for accuracy. Nothing has changed, no codes present, limited power in reverse or 1st after its idled for 15min and warmed up. All years seem to be functioning and have had it over 70mph. Some shift flares, but the speed, gear it's in when it happens, nothing is repeating. Sometimes feels like it's came out of gear and rpms rise. Other times no problem at all. It might be 10 minutes or 10 seconds between instances.
I've spent 2months reading manuals, talking to others while attempting to diagnose the thing and I'm stumped. Had a transmission shop check it out. Only had P1700 a generic code, and it hasn't repeated a single time, no other codes. And all gears work.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
I'm updating this since I recently was able to finally determine what caused the issues with my transmission.
There were multiple issues causing the problems I mentioned in the post. About an inch of a snap ring had broken off and had became lodged between friction plates, and the other issue was the flow control valve in the pump assembly had stopped working correctly. I could feel an obvious "step" when depressing the plunger valve. The direct one-way clutch or overdrive sprag was fine, and no other issues were present.
Hopefully this information will help someone out.

Back