• Register Today It's free!

2006 Limited No Crank

slimfitz

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Limited
Well I have no idea where to start with this one. My wifes explorer will not atempt to turn over. When I turn the key to the run position the dash does not do anything. I dont get any indicator lights or anything from the dash. And also the PATS light in now a steady dim light. So now I am confused and dont know where to start on this one. Is this a PATS issue or is my instrument cluster the problem? I did read the TSB on the cluster. Anyone have any insight to this? Thanks Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a dead battery, but that sounds too easy....

Well that was my first thought. So I grabed my boost pack. No dice. It didnt sound like the normal dead battery relay cliking. This was a single click when the key was turned. The PATS light was glowing not very bright but it was glowing. It did not matter whether the key was on off doors locked or unlocked. Also the instrument cluster would not do anything. Not even light up if I turned on the headlights. No message center or warning lights. So I unhooked the battery and left it for about an hour. Hooked it back up and the PATS light was bright and blinking. As soon as I put the key in the instrument cluster turned on. Then it started right up. I am just glad it is working now and hope it doesnt come back anytime soon.

Sounds like the battery connections were bad, I'd take them off and wire brush them if I were you.

I have found that "Booster Packs", in many cases, just don't work.

Sounds like the battery connections were bad, I'd take them off and wire brush them if I were you.

I would agree with you except for the fact that the only the instrument cluster was dead. Why would I have enough juice to run my headlights? Even my nav came on. When I mean the instrument cluster was dead. I mean as if it was unplugged from the rest of the car. Absolutly nothing in it worked. I am still thinking this is PATS related.

I have found that "Booster Packs", in many cases, just don't work.
I have not seen that with this one. This one has no issues turning over a big block. Or using it and another vehicle to jump my diesel.

I can't see the PATS system preventing the cluster from lighting up. I also have had batteries that were shorted, they would work perfect, then be dead, and the next day perfect again.

Well I have no idea where to start with this one. My wifes explorer will not atempt to turn over. When I turn the key to the run position the dash does not do anything. I dont get any indicator lights or anything from the dash. And also the PATS light in now a steady dim light. So now I am confused and dont know where to start on this one. Is this a PATS issue or is my instrument cluster the problem? I did read the TSB on the cluster. Anyone have any insight to this? Thanks Mike

Slimfitz, don't know if you're still out there, but did you ever resolve this problem? I just started having it after an engine rebuild. It's back at the dealer and I'm confident they can trace back what they may have touched to cause this while rebuilding the engine. But just in case they don't, thought I'd try to get prepared for a fight.

Pretty sure it's a PATS issue because the red LED on the top of the dash glows dim but steady when it's in this lockout mode, instead of flashing every 2 seconds like it normally does.

Disconnecting the battery cable for 10 seconds and reattaching does the trick.

Well no I did not ever figure out what was causing it but it is PATS related. I disconnected the battery prob three different times. Still would not work. Then I left the battery disconnected for about an hour. As soon as I hooked it back up the PATS light started blinking like normal. I knew it was going to start after that. And it did. It has not happened again since then. I am still wondering what would cause it to prevent itself from starting the way it did.

Oh wow so it was a one-time sporadic thing that went away on its own. Amazing. I followed your advice from your post back in November (man these forums are great) and disconnected the battery for about half an hour last night and it reset and was fine. Then it happened again this morning on the way to the dealer when I stopped for gas. I was in a rush so I disconnected it for only 10 seconds and sure enough it reset fine and I made it to the dealer. I'm sure it's a wire they chafed or a harness that got dirty when they gutted my engine compartment or something.

If I learn anything substantive from the dealer I'll let you all know.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Is your instrument cluster dead when this happens? Yes it was a random one time occurance. I hope that was the only time. Knock on wood.

Is your instrument cluster dead when this happens? Yes it was a random one time occurance. I hope that was the only time. Knock on wood.

Yep, in fact it first happened while I was driving down the road. Looked down and the tach, speedo, center display, and everything else was dead. Everything else worked fine - radio, a/c, turn signals (except no indication on dash).

2nd time it happened was between the time I got home and shut it down and tried to start it back up.

But it happened to the dealer went I went to pick it up from the head gasket job so they know it's their fault somehow. They did a quick key reprogram or something but in retrospect that wasn't enough. I'm just waiting for them to say "It must be a preexisting condition and therefore not on us" or something like that.....

Yep, in fact it first happened while I was driving down the road. Looked down and the tach, speedo, center display, and everything else was dead. Everything else worked fine - radio, a/c, turn signals (except no indication on dash).

2nd time it happened was between the time I got home and shut it down and tried to start it back up.

But it happened to the dealer went I went to pick it up from the head gasket job so they know it's their fault somehow. They did a quick key reprogram or something but in retrospect that wasn't enough. I'm just waiting for them to say "It must be a preexisting condition and therefore not on us" or something like that.....
Well I hope the dealer can shed some light on this. Im wouldnt hold your breath though.

Just got word they're replacing the instrument cluster. I was highly doubtful that was the problem but they said there's a TSB out on it. Looked it up and sure enough there it was.

NO START WITH INSTRUMENT CLUSTER INOPERATIVE
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN

Reference Number(s): 06-10-7, Date of Issue: May 29, 2006
FORD: 2006 Explorer; 2007 Explorer Sport Trac
MERCURY:2006 Mountaineer
Superceded Bulletin(s): 05-23-5, Date of Issue: November 28, 2005

Some 2006 Explorer 4dr/Mountaineer and 2007 Sport Trac vehicles may exhibit a no crank condition with an inoperative instrument cluster. These clusters may have an internal component that has failed, which causes a failure condition which may or may not be intermittent.

Basically it says to run a bunch of tests and then replace the instrument cluster. Looks like it's about a $400 part and an hour of labor.

Will let you know if it works.

Checking to see if this problem has been fixed or is reaccurring. We got my wife an 06 EB explorer about 18 months ago. It was a one owner low mileage(45k), only serviced at the dealer we bought it from. It sounded good so we got it. Three months later the instrument cluster starts going out intermitantly, setting PATS codes. Then one day it dies completely. I had it taken to the shop I work at and replaced the cluster due to it fitting the TSB perfectly. All was good for the last 9 months, then out of the blue same symptoms start up. Im about to get rid of this thing since I cant send my wife and son out of town not knowing if it will quit on her. Any help is appreciated.

Well to be honest it has only happend to us that one time. Knock on wood. My wife drives the wheels off of that thing. She has put about 70K miles on it in the last 2 and a half years. I would try to disconnect the battery for a long period of time

Anyone out there know of any common ground failures with these. From what I've found this problem seems to be related just to 06-07 explorers. I tried disconnecting the battery the first time around, it didnt work. Im really suspecting a ground or a chaffed wire because last nite while driving, out of nowhere the cluster goes down. Continue driving for a few blocks and hit a bump in an intersection and it came back on.

Here are the diagnostics for a 2006 Explorer with inoperative instrument Cluster:

Pinpoint Test Z: The Instrument Cluster Is Inoperative

Normal Operation
With the ignition switch in the START or RUN position, the instrument cluster receives voltage from the ignition switch through circuit CDC34 (WH/OG). With the ignition switch in the OFF position, the instrument cluster receives its keep-alive voltage from the smart junction box (SJB) through circuit SBP24 (VT/RD). The instrument cluster grounding is through circuit GD145 (BK/BU) and circuit RMC32 (GN/BU).

Possible Causes
fuse (EDIT: fuse 8 in passenger compartment 15A powers the system in run/start and fuse 24 of 10A when ign off. All from a fuse 3 of 50A in battery junction box in engine compartment)
circuit CDC34 (WH/OG) open (EDIT: power from run/start relay thru SJB)
circuit GD145 (BK/BU) open (EDIT: common ground circuit S219 to G302)
circuit RMC32 (GN/BU) open (EDIT: common ground circuit S218)
circuit SBP24 (VT/RD) open (EDIT: power from fuse 24 (10A) thru SJB)
instrument cluster (EDIT: i.e. internal failure)

There are 3 wiring diagrams for the Instrument Cluster on the 2006. Then there are a few location diagrams, and the pinouts for the SJB for the two power circuits. Some additional diagnostic tests for the above circuit failures. I will PM you to see if you want them.

Good luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back