• Register Today It's free!

2006 Ranger 4.0L won't start

nygbrad

Reaction score
City, State
Longwood, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT
Hey guys my brother has a 2006 Ranger 2WD with a 4.0L engine. He has 42,000 miles on it and I think the fuel pump is shot. We've already replaced the fuel pump relay and checked the fuel pump shut off switch. I bled all the pressure out of the fuel rail, turned on the key and no pressure built back up in the fuel rail. We also cannot hear the pump come on when the key is turned on. Has anyone had any problems with the fuel pumps going out on these trucks with low miles?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We also cannot hear the pump come on when the key is turned on.
Is it a stick or auto transmission?
If it's a stick, the clutch interlock switch can screw up, and not send power to the fuel pump.

No it's an automatic.

Well we changed the fuel pump because it wasnt coming on when we tried to turn it over. He made it a day and it happened again. He was driving 55mph and the engine just cut off. The gauges stayed up until he put it neutral and then they dropped. If it sits for 15 minutes and up it will start again. I think there is an electrical issue with something shutting the fuel pump off.

Check the fuel pump relay, especially the contacts of the relay and where they plug into. sometimes these contacts will tarnish causing an intermittent bad connection. sometimes merely removing the relay then reseating it will may the problem go away.

Ive tried that. Put a new one in and tested the voltage coming in and out of it.

could be a bad intertia switch (fuel cut-off switch)

Good call. I will check that out. Do you know how much they run?

Back