• Register Today It's free!

2006 transmission problem

Smnpmkn

Reaction score
City, State
Worth, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer Xlt v6
Why doesn’t it go in reverse right away if I can get it to at all?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The transmission is likely on its way out. I am assuming you have the 4.0 V6 and the 5r55s transmission. What kind of mileage do you have on the vehicle? Have you scanned the computer for any transmission codes? Any other symptoms? When they are going out, reverse is the gear Ford transmissions lose first.

The transmission is likely on its way out. I am assuming you have the 4.0 V6 and the 5r55s transmission. What kind of mileage do you have on the vehicle? Have you scanned the computer for any transmission codes? Any other symptoms? When they are going out, reverse is the gear Ford transmissions lose first.

I literally just had the Cellanoid pack replaced, 119,000 miles

I literally just had the Cellanoid pack replaced, 119,000 miles
Did the problem exist before the solenoid pack replacement? Have you ever changed the transmission fluid before?

Why doesn’t it go in reverse right away if I can get it to at all?
How many miles are on the vehicle? Odds are you need a remanufactured transmission. The 5R55 transmission you have is not reliable and typically fails by 150k miles. Especially if it has never been serviced. Personally, I wouldn't put money into it for a new transmission because the V6 in it is prone to needing its timing chains and guides replaced which would run you around $4k to repair. Add this to a $3k transmission repair is it is far more than the vehicle is worth. The V6 might last a long time and then again it might not. I am telling you this let you know what you might face if you invest a lot of money into a transmission repair.

Really common problem with this unit is the pump flow valve wears and sticks open that can cause delayed engagements. If The solenoid regulator valve in the valve body is sticking it can give the same symptoms.
Brad

Back