• Register Today It's free!

2006 V8, 3v sparkplugs?

Boomyal

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Ltd
Apparently Ford changed the head design in later 3v's and went to a one piece spark plug.

Here is a good video why the earlier ones, like mine had problems. From what I can tell, the problems were twofold. One is that the tip of the plug would grab the head and break off. The second is that you could actually strip the threads in the head while trying to turn the stuck plug out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbauEmu9yoU

My question is, what did Ford do to change the head AND why can't you use the one piece plugs, designed for that head, in the earlier 3v's?

Also, are there any one piece plugs that you can use in the earlier 3v heads that work without fail.

Too many times, I have used plugs other than what the factory recommended and had tons of performance issues.

There are millions of posts about this topic. This is the synopsis of Ford's problems:

1997-2003 2 valve design Tritons - too few threads, spark plugs blowing out of the heads

2004-2008 3 valve Tritons, spark plug tip gets stuck in the cylinder head due to carbon build up, since there is almost no tolerance between the walls of the spark plug port and the electrode tip. The port was widened sometime in 2008.

Sometimes the sparkplug will break right below the hex and then you have a serious problem, like I did - you need to drill the head, and install a bushing or insert.

You can use one piece design from Champion, I did but somehow I had some issues after that. I know fro experience that those Tritons like OEM sparkplugs and coils.

......You can use one piece design from Champion, I did but somehow I had some issues after that. I know fro experience that those Tritons like OEM sparkplugs and coils.

That's what I am afraid of. I tried some alternate plugs in my '97 E150 4.6 2V and the thing hardly ran. It was horrible.

That is exactly what I am afraid of in trying something like the Champion one piece plug in my 2006 3V.

Champion plugs are crap. If you're not running OEM using NGK or another high quality brand. Skip on boush though

Back