2007 Eddie Bauer Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Eddie Bauer Explorer

NanRuss

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer
I just purchased my 2nd explorer as my first one served me so well (375,000mi). I'm enjoying the upgrades. However, went to do the first oil change this past weekend and I purchased the oil filter that it was supposed to have the 820S. When we went to put that oil filter on, it wouldn't fit. The hole was too big. And the oil filter that came off the explorer was a Purolator 3001. We were able to find a Wix that would fit. But my question is why the difference? Can anyone explain what may have happened to make it have a different size oil filter.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My first thought would be that you got a V8 instead of a V6, or vice versa.

The 820S fits my 2006 V6 fine, as well as the two 2005 V6 Explorers we have at work. It also fits our two 2013 6.8 liter V10 gas trucks

The 4.0 and 4.6 take the same oil filter. My 4.0 V6 takes the exact same oil filter as my dads 4.6 V8 mustang... Maybe there is some sort of adapter on your explorer put on by a PO?

The OP's post indicates a 1997 model. Probably takes the F1 filter that Ford used for years and years.

well it says 2007, I assume the 97 was his old one, but its probably moot point since the OP hasn't been back since they posted....

Back