2007 Explorer Eddie Baur No Belt Tensio | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Explorer Eddie Baur No Belt Tensio

brad2007

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeland, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer 4.0
Hey all, first post here sorry it is because I have an issue

About 3 days ago started to get the squeeling belt sound when air conditioner or heater was on. Was going to replace the belt next week.

Wife got in Explorer this morning and heard a pop, she described as sounded like something broke.

Looking under the hood I see nothing broken but there is absolutely no belt tension and the belt is not broken. The tensioner pushes down(springed) as is supposed to.

Anyone have a clue as what to be looking for in the case of no belt tension other than the obvious broken belt? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey all, first post here sorry it is because I have an issue

About 3 days ago started to get the squeeling belt sound when air conditioner or heater was on. Was going to replace the belt next week.

Wife got in Explorer this morning and heard a pop, she described as sounded like something broke.

Looking under the hood I see nothing broken but there is absolutely no belt tension and the belt is not broken. The tensioner pushes down(springed) as is supposed to.

Anyone have a clue as what to be looking for in the case of no belt tension other than the obvious broken belt? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Is the idler pulley still there?

Is the idler pulley still there?

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the response. According to the diagrams I have seen that would be the one directly to the right of the alternator as you are looking at it that is actually attached to the casing of the alternator and yes it is there.

I can't see anything that isn't in place. Perhaps the belt stretched that much?? Like I said there is still tension on the tension arm when you push it down, my first impression was that the tension arm had locked into a non-tension position meaning locked in a lower position though that is something I've never heard of but I haven't worked as a home mechanic since 2000 so I'm definitely not an authority

Check to make sure that the belt is still routed correctly around everything. It is possible that it slipped off one of the rollers and that is why there is no tension on the belt anymore.

Check to make sure that the belt is still routed correctly around everything. It is possible that it slipped off one of the rollers and that is why there is no tension on the belt anymore.

Hi there, thanks. It's routed just like the diagrams show still. There is nothing that I can see that is wrong or out of place. Like I said, it seems like the belt is to a couple inches to big or that the tensioner locked into a non-tension position.

It's strange to say the least. A friend is supposed to be coming over today, perhaps he can see something I can't. I will keep you updated. Any other knowledge or suggestions that you or anyone has is definitely welcome.

the problem

I do believe this is the problem

theproblemithink.jpg

Sloted cover on this piece is gone right?

The thing that pops out to me immediately is that the belt does not look to be routed correctly around the fan/water pump pulley like it should (Edit: nah, picture angle is deceiving). No, I know what I am looking at now... your harmonic balancer is shot/broke. It looks like it completely came apart. Wow, never seen one fail like that before. You are looking at about a $100 part and an hour of your time to replace it.

The thing that pops out to me immediately is that the belt does not look to be routed correctly around the fan/water pump pulley like it should (Edit: nah, picture angle is deceiving). No, I know what I am looking at now... your harmonic balancer is shot/broke. It looks like it completely came apart. Wow, never seen one fail like that before. You are looking at about a $100 part and an hour of your time to replace it.

It turns out that it needs a new Harmonic Balancer The rubber part will apparently pop off after time, the grooved part that the belt fits on can also pop off which it did. I'm calling to see about getting one now

Back