2007 Tire Pressure Light won't go out - Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Tire Pressure Light won't go out - Help

Kirk

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Having same trouble with '07 Explorer. All tires have correct pressure, but light won't go out.

Please explain how to reset it or where I can find out how to.

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dead battery in a TPMS sensor. For an 07, its about time. Keep in mind that we drove trillions of miles on inflated tires before we were saved by the bureaucrats who forced us to buy tire pressure sensors. Get a tire gage and go old school. I do.

The sensors can run $70 to $200, plus dismount/mounting labor. And no, there's no way to talk to your computer to shut it off.

The sad thing is that pretty soon shops are not going to be allowed to let a vehicle leave the premises if the TPMS light is on. Basically a new interpretation of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act is forcing shops to now make sure the TPMS is functioning properly with no warning lights before the vehicle can leave. Talk about PITA if you have a set of snow tires with no TPMS in them and you typically let a shop put them on for you.

Orange industries. 35 bucks a piece for stem mount. Just break the inside bead, pull your old stem out, insert the new stem, tighten up, and inflate. you will need a programmer, costs around 50 bucks but it will last you forever.

Here is what I have learned about this on my '07 Explorer:

The sensor is on the inside of the rim, not on the valve stem. So the magnet reset procedure will not work on this type.

The batteries go to inactive mode if the car sits for a long time, and reawaken after a couple of miles of driving.

If I completely remove the wheel and mount the spare, the fault still shows, even though the wheel is at home in my garage. In other words, if it's off the car, the system still shows low pressure. (This was the cause of my problem!)

When the batteries die (7 to 10 years, my mechanic says), they are about $100 each to replace, including removing and remounting the tire, and balancing the wheel.

Pennsylvania DOES NOT require the low-pressure system to work, but the mechanic faces a $20,000 fine if he disarms it. If it works when the car comes in for inspection, it must work when it leaves or he has to fix it!

To replace my blown tire, rather than spend over $200 for a new one, I purchased a complete brand new dirty but unused spare tire and wheel from my favorite junk-er auto salvage yard for $75, had my garage put the "new" tire on my original wheel and drove off. After 2 miles, the light went out.

Now I'm just waiting to see how long the batteries last. I'm at 85,000 miles.

Thanks T By T. If needed, can I replace one with the Orange stem and leave the original ones on the other 3 wheels, or must they be on all 4 wheels?

Back