2008 4x4 auto vs. 4x4 high | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 4x4 auto vs. 4x4 high

WMACHINE

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Limited
I searched for previous posts, but found nothing current.
For 2008, please explain the differences.
How severe should weather conditions be to switch to 4x4 high?
Is there a good reason not to run 4x4 high all winter long?
Gas mileage better on 4x4 auto?

TIA

The difference is that 4x4 Auto is exactly that, auto. It only comes on when the computer senses the wheels slipping. 4x4 High is a high gear full time 4wd. You do not want to run 4x4 High unless you are in a condition that requires you to have 4wd drive on with constant wheel slipping(snow, ice, sand, etc...). For full time driving you should have 4x4 Auto on (essentially 2wd unless the wheels slip). And you will get better mileage on 4x4 Auto.

As a PSA, you should never run 4WD on dry pavement.

The difference is that 4x4 Auto is exactly that, auto. It only comes on when the computer senses the wheels slipping. 4x4 High is a high gear full time 4wd. You do not want to run 4x4 High unless you are in a condition that requires you to have 4wd drive on with constant wheel slipping(snow, ice, sand, etc...). For full time driving you should have 4x4 Auto on (essentially 2wd unless the wheels slip). And you will get better mileage on 4x4 Auto.

As a PSA, you should never run 4WD on dry pavement.

Thank you! That's exactly what I want to know!

BTW, downsizing from an 2004 Expedition, I just bought a new 2008 Explorer close to what you have; a dark cherry V8 Limited with every available option except 2nd row quad buckets.

Back