2008 Explorer died out no spark?

stacey_amenta

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer
2008 Ford Explorer 6cyl 4x4

While driving my car felt like motor starting to shake so I slowed down and the car just dies out.
Tried to start it up again and it was almost like it was out of gas (Full Tank)
Had the car towed to mechanic for diagnostic and was told the following:

There was a leak from the thermo housing that was spitting out coolant and over time it had worn the belt out and the belt snapped, this caused the below issues?

Harmonic Balancer Replace
Engine Belt Drive
Crank Senor Replace
Repair Damaged wiring harness
Replace upper and lower thermo housing and thermo

So after getting the 1400.00 plus estimate a mechanic friend told me to tow it to him.

When we got it to my friend he stated that the engine drive belt was not snapped. So he looked into it further tried to run a diagnostic himself but the codes had been cleared. He stated that there is 0 spark? I am so lost and have no idea where to go from here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

I have moved your thread to the Stock 4th Gen Sub Forum for better exposure.

Good luck getting it sorted. :thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

Is there a leak and any coolant in it? Check and make sure that the crank sensor is in place and connected and verify that you don't have any blown fuses. If you have low coolant levels or a leak, run a compression check to verify you have good compression.

Flag Gibby

Yes there is a slow leak which I was told this is what cause the whole thing lol thank you so much for getting to this post I am going to try and pull out the crank sensor myself I'll post my results :thumbsup:

Ok, so it possibly sounds like what the shop should have said is the serpentine belt came off and damaged some wiring under the hood (wiring that goes to the crankshaft sensor?) that needs to get fixed before anything else. The coolant leak is most likely from the upper thermostat housing and has to get fixed unless the belt coming off caused damage to the lower housing. Hopefully the coolant leak hasn't caused any head gasket issues yet due to overheating. Also, I am pretty sure that the shop meant the serpentine belt tensioner needed to be replaced and not the harmonic balancer.

It honestly sounds to me like the shop that did the original estimate on the repair was not trying to work you over. When a serpentine belt comes off under the hood a lot of damage to wiring/plastics can occur and both the serpentine belt and the tensioner must get replaced since it coming off indicates that the belt is stretched and possibly the tensioner is worn out and no longer working correctly.

Back