• Register Today It's free!

New battery and alternator

mallor1216

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 ford explorer limite
My 2008 ford explorer limited flashed the abs light, traction control light, and tire pressure light, then the dash went red and the car died out. Got it home and replaced the alternator and battery. Car started and drove but would flash the battery light at me randomly and tell me to check the charging system. Voltage would read at 12.0 and battery light would come on, the car would then charge to 14.3 and hold, then repeat. Tried another new alternator again and installed a new belt tensioner. Car started and read 14.3 volts. Voltage slowly drained to 12.8 while driving and idling. If the voltage drops to 12.7, the car will recharge to 12.8-12.9 volts, but nothing higher. It holds at 12.8 volts. Battery light doesnt flash on and the system check says the charging system is okay. No loss of power anywhere, lights dont dim. Any ideas?

What alternator brand used?new or reman?

Check and clean battery terminals,grounds and fusable link charge cable of damage or corrosion

What alternator brand used?new or reman?

Check and clean battery terminals,grounds and fusable link charge cable of damage or corrosion
All look good

Back