2008 Explorer Premium 6 CD Radio Problems (CD's jammed) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Explorer Premium 6 CD Radio Problems (CD's jammed)

tmyc

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Eddie Bauer Explorer
2008 Explorer Premium 6 CD Radio Problems (CD's jammed = QUICK FIX)

Ok... My 2008 Eddie Bauer (37k Miles) again has Load error and cd's in the tray. I've tried resetting and other ideas online. I know the Cd's are jammed in there like it was last time. This is the second radio with the same problem. Now its out of warranty. I want to take it out and try to fix it myself (any recommendations) Again it happened in very cold weather. I don't really want to get it fixed by Ford. I'm sure it will happen again. If I cant fix it myself here are a few questions for you.

- Will Ford Sync work with after market radio/cd?
- Will steering column buttons with after market radio?

I like the looks of the high end after market radios and if there aren't any problems with adaptability, then WHY should I take another chance on a Ford Radio, this time, I'll have to pay for it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I took the Radio out. There are three CD's in there. Top one is easy to take out. The next two starting from the down up I can't find a way out. I took out the CD Tray out from the radio module. Still can't find a way to get the cd's out. I'm still getting the no Cd's... and load error on the screen after taking out the Top CD when I plug it back in.

If I can't take these CD's out I can't see any reason for paying top dollar for a fix when I can replace it with a new Aftermarket one with better features. I guess I need to know what is Ford Compatible with the sync setup if No one has an answer how to get to the CD's.

You'll just have to disassemble it to get at the CDs.
An aftermarket one is still your best bet though.

The cold weather is very ruff on the 6 CD dash players, making failure very common. These are more complicated then the earlier models and taking the stuck cd's out is a b*tch. Since you have the unit apart, why not consider replacing the cd player portion. It can be separated by removing the four torx screws which holds the 6 cd unit inside after taking the top off the radio. The cd unit is attached on the bottom to a single ribbon type cable feed from the radio motherboard. The 6 cd unit then can be replaced with a repaired units from Ebay about $100.00 or a new one for same price if you shop around there. I recently been going through the same issues with mine from a 2006 and a new one is very easy plus available. Just be sure and match the model number printed on the cd unit itself or the one on the bottom printed circuit board of the cd unit.

I understand your frustration but maybe the $100 fix can simplify things, plus no compatibility issues. On Ebay just search "Ford 6 cd radio repair" to see some options.

I decided to the take the radio out, and mic98xlt you are correct. Easy to takethe cd unit out. The last unit was replaced 2 winters ago with a refurbished unit from the dealer. I looked on Ebay found Rive Automotive Electronics. They sold the exact cd unit for $119, new! I contacted them directly http://www.rivetech.com/
I ordered on a Monday and received it on Thursday (Calif to Mich). Total with shipping was $134.49. Four torx drive took the unit out and quick clip to take the ribbon cable out. The only problem would be for those who do not have a small phillips screwdriver like those used on Computers. There are 5 screws to take out to replace the mounting bracket from the old Cd unit to the new one. Plugged it in and works perfectly.

Now I checked after market units especially those from Kenwood. I would like those top of the line units like the Kenwood Excelon DNN990HD with every feature available today. Its a very nice unit... but maybe next time when this one goes (which I expect sooner than later). Sync & Steering wheel functions all work with the additional adapter iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Factory Integration Adapter.

I've included the links to the aftermarket radio at Crutchfield which has everything you would need with aftermarket radio/cd to work properly. The main reason of course is the price of the new unit and it being the middle of winter, and I just didn't want to be tearing apart my car now. The dash is easy to take apart. Just remove the two 7mm screws when you open the counsel. Snap out and lift that piece that surrounds the gear shift. Once thats out... snap out the wood grain molding that moves up the dash over the radio. Move the gear shift to 3 and move the molding out and to the side to get to the 4 (7mm screws) that locks in the radio. Unplug the Antenna and 3 molex plugs in the radio. The Larger plug controls the radio/cd without plugging in the others which I assume is for the sync etc. I wasn't concerned with the old cd's, but Rive said I could send the old unit back and get the cd's taken out by them. No worries... not worth it. I just bent them out of the old unit anyway.

Thats it... hope this helps some of you. Its a simple thing. . . really!!!

http://www.rivetech.com/

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DNN990H/Kenwood-Excelon-DNN990HD.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_794ADS...-MRR-Factory-Integration-Adapter.html?tp=3486

On Ebay Search
NEW FORD CD 6 DISC CHANGER MECHANISM VP5L5F-18C821-AD FB REPLACEMENT 2007 2008

Hope this answers any questions... Now go do it. Its Easy!
eBay TALK: Get answers and connect with the eBay Comm

Yes, sounds likes you resolved the problem quick and easy, nice job! Funny exactly the same replacement unit I needed for mine. Rivetech.com has a very good reputation and it was one of the places I was considering. I ended up going with another 6cd Ford unit ($100) from a Ford Escape which was a better unit with more audio power plus had a working 6 cd player.

That Kenwood unit does looks sweet with all the bells and whistles, but beyond my budget right now. Great info for for an upgrade latter on.

mic98xlt... wish I knew that before. I would have bought an upgraded unit with better specs. Any Numbers?

Tmyc, you have the latest Ford generation radio which is basically a 2.5 din size. The radio unit I brought used is from the earlier generation (2001-2006.5) and a double din size without Sync. The following info on this radio is from CharlesS of "CrownViv.net"

"This is the 6L8T-18C815-FD, Audioplile AM/FM/Sat Ready/CD6/MP3/Phase II. The radio was the top option for the 2007 Escape, and is a plug and play install for a late model Panther. This is the radio that all the Marauder folks are looking for. She provides full bass output to the four primary speakers, as well as a subwoofer output. In the Escape the radio is connected to four primary speakers, two tweeters, and a separate subwoofer amplifier with a subwoofer. This is the seven speaker system."

The trick to finding this radio at a budget price is not to go thru Ebay. Most Ebay sellers know this is a hot radio for an upgrade and they charge big bucks. If you search the local junk yards using the part number (6L8T-18C815-FD) paying attention to the last two letters that identify the radio as being an "Audiophile" Ford's top line. "Car-part.com" is a great site to check on for a local yard which probably undervalues this radio as a regular everyday radio. Budget wise it was a great logical choice for me, with a great sounding factory radio with no lost of factory options.

Thanks... Where do I get the specs and where to go to start in the car? I was thinking about upgrading the speakers this spring and would like to know what to look for before buying the speakers. Also would like to ad a parametric eq, but have no idea where to start. I used to have a 15K in a 1978 Town Coupe back in 1992... but i lost it to a garage fire. I do know how to mod but need to get the basics first.

Back