2008 Ford Explorer 4x4 V8 with 135,000 miles worth buying ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Ford Explorer 4x4 V8 with 135,000 miles worth buying ?

armie

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 explorer limted V8 2x4
Hey guys is a 2008 Ford Explorer 4x4 V8 with 135,000 miles worth buying ? Its a limited explorer that costs around 10k do you guys think it will be reliable about how long will the engine and transmission work with no problems

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys is a 2008 Ford Explorer 4x4 V8 with 135,000 miles worth buying ? Its a limited explorer that costs around 10k do you guys think it will be reliable about how long will the engine and transmission work with no problems
Really Hard to say, honestly. I've looked at these explorers and some had expensive issues, some seemed ok. The V8s have issues with the manifold bolts breaking and it is a difficult job.
09-10 v8s have a better transmission.

Does it have a carfax service history?

I would be willing to pay that price only if it checks out exceptionally well. This means real good tires, no time spent in the rustbelt, a clean Carfax, really good maintenance history that details the repairs/maintenance done, interior/exterior in very good condition, no engine noises and no issues found after thoroughly crawling in, around and under it looking for problems. If you do all the labor for your repairs then taking a risk is less risky for you than someone who pays a mechanic.

To compare, I bought my 2010 Mountaineer Premier loaded with every option, in very good condition inside and out, spent its life outside the rustbelt, had two owners, some maintenance history, no collision damage/salvage title etc. indicated on a Carfax report, all options worked as new but knowing it had a slow leaking radiator and worn tires. I got it for $6,300 out the door. I spent another $2k for tires, radiator/water pump replacement (did the pump as a preventative measure), changed differential, transmission, transfer case fluids for a grand total of $8,300 into it. But this got me a 4th gen that was as close to flawless with 100k miles on it as I could get.

So for me, I would say $7,500-$8,000 is about as high as I would go for a purchase price which would include any repairs you know you might need to do. IMO, a $10k price would command it be a vehicle in exceptional condition with an exceptional maintenance record (that included fluid changes) that saw no time living in the rustbelt.

I would be willing to pay that price only if it checks out exceptionally well. This means real good tires, no time spent in the rustbelt, a clean Carfax, really good maintenance history that details the repairs/maintenance done, interior/exterior in very good condition, no engine noises and no issues found after thoroughly crawling in, around and under it looking for problems. If you do all the labor for your repairs then taking a risk is less risky for you than someone who pays a mechanic.

To compare, I bought my 2010 Mountaineer Premier loaded with every option, in very good condition inside and out, spent its life outside the rustbelt, had two owners, some maintenance history, no collision damage/salvage title etc. indicated on a Carfax report, all options worked as new but knowing it had a slow leaking radiator and worn tires. I got it for $6,300 out the door. I spent another $2k for tires, radiator/water pump replacement (did the pump as a preventative measure), changed differential, transmission, transfer case fluids for a grand total of $8,300 into it. But this got me a 4th gen that was as close to flawless with 100k miles on it as I could get.

So for me, I would say $7,500-$8,000 is about as high as I would go for a purchase price which would include any repairs you know you might need to do. IMO, a $10k price would command it be a vehicle in exceptional condition with an exceptional maintenance record (that included fluid changes) that saw no time living in the rustbelt.
Thx for the advice

Really Hard to say, honestly. I've looked at these explorers and some had expensive issues, some seemed ok. The V8s have issues with the manifold bolts breaking and it is a difficult job.
09-10 v8s have a better transmission.

Does it have a carfax service history?
Thx for the advice

I agree with everyone else. $10k on an 08 explorer v8 should be well under 100k on the odometer.

The truck you describe would be $6k- $8k in the northeast USA.

I agree with everyone else. $10k on an 08 explorer v8 should be well under 100k on the odometer.

The truck you describe would be $6k- $8k in the northeast USA.
Agree. I saw one at a dealer with 135K, and the dealer said he just rebuilt the transmission with a pic of the work and a two year trans warranty. Price? $7500. Was a limited too. I'm sure if you walk in cold to to a trans place that is 3-4 grand.
Now that is the thing with a used truck. The PO could have used it for his landscaping business and towed to 10 lbs under its rating for the last 100K miles. If the trans goes in a few months under that use, someone got a very good deal, someone gets a very bad deal.

I agree about the rust. I'm not a big guy and I stepped on a running board, I was sure it was going to break off from the sound it made. Rockers were gone.

Although the frames seems to hold up very well in the salt. They didn't skimp there.

$7500 sounds right. With a $2500 budget for major repairs. These engines also have the cam phaser issue(not as much as the 5.4), but if the PO had 10K OCIs you may be looking at some serious work (either DIY or pay).

So, the good news is that all of the MAJOR components of a 4th gen V8 are very robust, and capable of 200K plus miles before total failure.

The bad news is that at 120K plus miles you can expect wheel bearings, suspension, steering, front timing to all need attention VERY soon. This can be $3-5000 for parts alone if you are capable of doing the work yourself. The 6r60 trans is very robust, BUT prone to mechatronix (valve body) failure, and torque converter failure. both are likely due to fords "life time oil change" bullshit. 6r60/80's like getting fresh fluid every 30k-45k miles as it starts to break down much faster than regular ATF.

SO. TLDR, it could be a great ride for years to come, but there is a near certainty that you WILL be spending some serious money on reconditioning one or more of the above mentioned systems.

I inherited this white 08, and a blue 07, from my father. So keeping them running is a matter of sentiment rather than practicality.

So, the good news is that all of the MAJOR components of a 4th gen V8 are very robust, and capable of 200K plus miles before total failure.

The bad news is that at 120K plus miles you can expect wheel bearings, suspension, steering, front timing to all need attention VERY soon. This can be $3-5000 for parts alone if you are capable of doing the work yourself. The 6r60 trans is very robust, BUT prone to mechatronix (valve body) failure, and torque converter failure. both are likely due to fords "life time oil change" bullshit. 6r60/80's like getting fresh fluid every 30k-45k miles as it starts to break down much faster than regular ATF.

SO. TLDR, it could be a great ride for years to come, but there is a near certainty that you WILL be spending some serious money on reconditioning one or more of the above mentioned systems.

I inherited this white 08, and a blue 07, from my father. So keeping them running is a matter of sentiment rather than practicality.
Any large SUV is going to be expensive if it gets older. Reliability wise something like a Lexus GX 460 may have fewer need for repairs, but they are very expensive used. Maybe double an explorer, for a similar V8 engine.

Any large SUV is going to be expensive if it gets older. Reliability wise something like a Lexus GX 460 may have fewer need for repairs, but they are very expensive used. Maybe double an explorer, for a similar V8 engine.

I just looked up a 2010 GX 460s in my area and found one with 125k miles for $17k. I bought my 2010 Mountaineer with a little over 100k miles for $6.3k. The $10k I saved will cover many repairs for many miles and many years. In fact, I doubt I will ever spend near this much in repairs for the next 100k+ miles I plan to drive it. Plus, Lexus vehicles aren't bulletproof either and will need repairs periodically. Parts for mine are cheap and there are plenty of repair shops that know how to fix it or I can do many repairs myself. Foreign luxury vehicles tend to be more expensive to repair.

I just looked up a 2010 GX 460s in my area and found one with 125k miles for $17k. I bought my 2010 Mountaineer with a little over 100k miles for $6.3k. The $10k I saved will cover many repairs for many miles and many years. In fact, I doubt I will ever spend near this much in repairs for the next 100k+ miles I plan to drive it. Plus, Lexus vehicles aren't bulletproof either and will need repairs periodically. Parts for mine are cheap and there are plenty of repair shops that know how to fix it or I can do many repairs myself. Foreign luxury vehicles tend to be more expensive to repair.

The GX is probably closer to a Mountaineer or if they had a Navigator in those years, so it is going to be more. Also, they are quite rare, and that pushes the price up. I'm sure they need repairs too, and if you can't DIY it is going to be expensive. I think though the 4th gen Explorer is a more solid truck. They are both Body on Frame. Value wise the v8 Explorer wins hands down. Plenty of Explorers make it to the 200K mark with little work.

Lexus parts are pretty cheap though. Maybe cheaper than Ford OEM. I paid less for factory rotors and pads for a Lexus Sedan than the Explorer.

As an owner of a 4th gen for over 11 yrs now, I'm going to dispute a couple issues mentioned above. I've been somewhat active on this site over the years, but follow on nearly a daily bases.
I have seen many more cases of torque converter issues misdiagnosed, that were actually ignition misfire problems. And also seen very few problems on this site where there was a valve train/timing issue or valve body issue. A few have had roller followers issues. Rads and manifold studs are problematic, as are wheel bearings and suspension components. Spark plugs were/are an issue on the 06/08 3valve.

But I do agree that the trans fluid does need to be changed on a regular schedule, as it should be in any vehicle.

Lack of proper maintenance will come back to bite you in the azz, if you let it.

For what it's worth: I bought a 2010 4X4 Explorer Eddie Bauer V6 with 155k miles for ~$8450 last October in Colo from a dealer. Just a price point. It needed the transmission tailshaft seal replaced, but other than that the Carfax was clean and it has been performing well.

Gmctyphoon is correct. Book value on this is about $7500 tops from a private party. I am an original owner of a 2008 with V8. I have 196000 miles on it. It has been pretty solid. I'd sell you mine for 10K in a heartbeat. Lets get to the details. Solid truck with lots of space and power. Great for towing. I do all the work on it myself and the 4.6L is very reliable. I change oil every 3K miles. One thing to watch out for is the wheel hubs. I've been thru a few. Fronts are easy to replace, rear bearing needs to be pressed into knuckle. I'd check to see if transmission fluid and filter has been changed. One other item to watch out for is the spark plugs in some. They can crack and get stuck in the spark plug hole when removing. It requires them to be drilled out and can be a big job. Apparently corrosion at the time causes a problem and when removed the plug has weak spots and can get stuck. This did not happen to mine. Ask any questions. I have owned this for 12 years.

I would definitely budget for a rebuilt transmission and other major maintenance others have suggested.

I bought a 2010 XLT V8 4WD with 127k miles for $8400 at a small lot. It was a previous California city owned vehicle. Very solid feeling driving, shifting, strong engine vehicle. Drove a same year V8 limited with 113k miles and it felt loose, sloppy shifting, fair engine power.
it did have a weeping radiator I replaced my self. The transmission shifted great, but had a small leak. had the dealer look at it and it was the mechtronix leaking fluid into the computer and out the wire plug. Those units are and all in one including the valve bodies. Roughly $2k to replace it, but I had bought a used car warranty for $2200 and they paid it all minus $100 deductible.

Agree re. the bearings (though they *can* last to roughly 200k miles), but have no experience with the V8/6r60. Do the V8's really have a timing chain issue of their own (I'm *very* familiar with the ubiquitous Cologne V6 timing chain issues, having done the job twice!).

Paid roughly $6k for a 2010 V6 Eddie Bauer 4x4 a 1.5 years ago, and couldn't be happier. It had had its transmission completely rebuilt @ 135k miles by a reputable shop that I interviewed, and had very, very minor body damage. The transmission has been flawless. I'm surprised at how much more comfortable this ride is than my 3rd Gen, though the mileage is worse due to 4x4 and heavier "bells & whistles" EB trim.

V8's seem to be coveted by the towing crowd, and are in relatively short supply, so you'll pay a premium (maybe $2k?) for not that much more power or torque--but with the comfort of avoiding (hopefully) the timing chains problems of the V6. If I were you, I'd make the dealer get the spark plugs changed with Ford parts as part of the deal, at a Ford dealership if nec., since that should give you 60-75k miles peace of mind to avoid that nightmare (before Ford changed the heads in late model '08).

Agree re. the bearings (though they *can* last to roughly 200k miles), but have no experience with the V8/6r60. Do the V8's really have a timing chain issue of their own (I'm *very* familiar with the ubiquitous Cologne V6 timing chain issues, having done the job twice!).

The 4.6L 3V engines don't have many issues with timing chains and guides. In this respect they are as durable as the 4.6L 2V engines which has excellent longevity of these parts. The 4.6L 2V engines routinely go 300k-400k miles in taxis and other high duty vehicles, that are well maintained, without major issues. The cam phasers can have issues but they usually last 150k-200k miles or more. Changing cam phasers is easy and takes about two hours to complete. It requires removing the valve covers only and not the timing chain cover on the front of the engine. Also, changing timing chains and guides on both 4.6L engines doesn't require engine removal and is a fairly easy and straightforward job if it is needed. In reality, the 4.6L 3V engines are about as durable as the 2V versions if they are well maintained.

Paid roughly $6k for a 2010 V6 Eddie Bauer 4x4 a 1.5 years ago, and couldn't be happier. It had had its transmission completely rebuilt @ 135k miles by a reputable shop that I interviewed, and had very, very minor body damage. The transmission has been flawless. I'm surprised at how much more comfortable this ride is than my 3rd Gen, though the mileage is worse due to 4x4 and heavier "bells & whistles" EB trim.

V8's seem to be coveted by the towing crowd, and are in relatively short supply, so you'll pay a premium (maybe $2k?) for not that much more power or torque--but with the comfort of avoiding (hopefully) the timing chains problems of the V6. If I were you, I'd make the dealer get the spark plugs changed with Ford parts as part of the deal, at a Ford dealership if nec., since that should give you 60-75k miles peace of mind to avoid that nightmare (before Ford changed the heads in late model '08).

I think most people opt for the V8s for longevity and durability in the 3rd and 4th gen Explorers/Mountaineers. The 4th gen 4.6L 3V engines come with a six speed transmission (6R60 & 6R80) that is much more durable and much more refined than the five speed mated to the 4.0L V6 and 3rd gen V8s. The 4.6L 3V engines have a great deal more power than the 4.0L V6. The V8 makes 292 hp and the V6 makes 210 hp. The V8 also gets better gas mileage than the V6 due to its more modern design and the six speed transmission that comes with it. The Mountaineer I have gets 17-18 mpg for the typical type of driving I do which is a mix of suburban and highway. I can get 20-21 mpg on the highway if I keep speeds between 60-65 mph. I get 17-18 mpg doing 75-80 mph. My old 2002 V8 Explorer would get over 15 mpg on a good tank for normal mixed driving and never over 16-17 mpg on the highway doing 60-65 mph and 15 mpg, or less, going 75-80 mph.

IMO, the premium paid to buy a 4.6L 3V 4th gen is well worth it. That $2k difference is more than eaten up with a transmission rebiuld which about always happens with the 5R55 between 100k-150k miles. Then add in the cost of a timing chain/guide replacement for the SOHC V6 and that $2k is a fantastic bargain. When I started looking for a replacement for my 2002 XLT I narrowed down my options to the 2009-2010 V8s. IMO, these are the best years to buy for the 3rd and 4th gen models and well worth the additional cost to obtain one. Especially if one plans to drive their vehicle to 200k miles and beyond.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This all sounds right to me. I was in a pinch when I bought my '10 V6, and did not see any suitable V8's around (Detroit). The recent, quality transmission rebuild (with the new servo piston sleeves, new torque converter, etc.) was a big load off my mind, too. And with new timing chains on my '02, I have a "spare" engine to swap in if nec!

Did you notice the improved ride on the 4th gen? I like my '02 2WD a lot (can get 19 mpg on the highway, with the gear ratio on it and the lack of limited-slip diff; good think I have the 4WD w/winter tires in Michigan!). But the 4th gen feel like a luxury ride by comparison.

Back