2008, how to add an amp and subs to stock head unit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008, how to add an amp and subs to stock head unit

NickSantagataa

Reaction score
City, State
Mount dora , Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 explorer xlt 4x4
I have an 08 Ford Explorer xl without the upgraded sound system, I was wondering can I add an amp and subs without having to change my head unit out, most head units are either really ugly or insanely expensive and I'd like to have more kick to my music, just spent 2k on a transmission so cheapest route would be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you will need a line out converter or an amp that can use high level inputs... the basic stock system did not come with an amp so its way easier to do because you do not have to bypass anything .... I had to use the plug under the drivers floor board to pass the power wire through... I just replaced the whole system in my 2007 so any help you need is still fresh in my head...

Did you follow a guide or just did it off your head?, and line out converters are like 20 bucks right?

Ive done the trial and error process over the years... so I have it down for any car/truck I could ever own... I did all the factory plugs so I didn't have to track down wiring like on my 99 f150 or 98 explorer that I also had to do an amp delete... 2 channel LOC's are less than 4 channel and try to buy an amp that says CEA2006 and stay away from ones that do not... the amp you linked would be lucky to get 200 watts of clean power... I tested a friends boss cx3500 and it was only able to put out 600watts @ 2ohm... if you keep the factory head unit then you will probably have to track down the 4 wires for the rear speakers and either splice in or t-tap those for the LOC... if you are just adding a sub then you will probably open Pandoras box and then realize the factory door speaker blow and want to upgrade and then 15watts rms from any head unit will not power the upgraded speakers... lol.... I have a build thread on here of what I just did over the last month... head unit, doors, 4ch, monoblock, 12" sub and box I built and all the wiring all I need to do is cover the box and I am done... most of my equipment is carry over from my last 2 cars only thing I bought for this build is the 6.5 comps in the front doors and my DC audio lvl3 12" and all wiring and speaker plates

Alright im trying to not spend over 100 to do subs, and all i want is a 10" sub instead of 2 12" , ny dad is mad good with wiring so im not really worried about chasing down the wires, but do you think you could link me a good amp that would be good enough to support only 1 10" sub.

It depends on the sub.. Single or duel voice coils the amp can be chosen to what the final impedance will be... 1,2 or 4 ohm... But anything that will sound good will probably cost close to 200 with box... less if you build one... The wiring will be over 20... What sub you planning on running.. And you want D class for efficiency

this would be a pretty low end setup

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_43607_Power-Acoustik-RZ1-1500D.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_68812_Power-Acoustik-CW2-104.html

run the sub at 2 ohm and this amp will power it nicely

I'm actually going to mount it on the side of the trunk space by the third row of seating, and so I'm going to be looking at like 200 with shipping and what not, I appreciate all your help man, it's just a little too steep for me right now, but I'm going to stock up on funds and then I'm going to order the amp and the sub. Thanks.

IMG_09651.png

buying these off my friend of 60
he's saying I can prob. Run them on 400 watts , but I'm thinking of an 800 watt amp.

Boss headunits have very weak pre out voltage ... "615UA digital media" had only 1 set of preouts and it was on the front channels so it was poor on adjustment and the line voltage was so low I needed to use a LOC anyway because it wouldnt feed my 4ch and the sub out sounded like total crap... I never ran my doors off of the headunit since the most you can hope for is 26watts rms clean .... 14.4 x 14.4 / 4ohm / 2 = 25.92 watts rms

I've decided to wait for my audio upgrade I ordered halo fog lights and a 30" led light bar now I need to find a good guide in how to remove the old fogs

Hello there, is you can help me with this, where is the location of the amps that is used for the door speakers?

Thansk

Hello there, is you can help me with this, where is the location of the amps that is used for the door speakers?

Thansk

what sound system came with yours... because mine did not have any amps and to my understanding only the audio"pile"phile option had amps and they are hidden behind the rear wheel well plastics

Hello and thanks for posting a reply so fast. My Exp has de 6 Cd changer radio with subwoofer. I know the subwoofer has an amp in the subwoofer enclosure, but I was under the impression that there is a separate amp for the door speakers, I might be wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

Remove the front door pannels and see what the stock speakers look like, any models with amps will have an upgraded speaker.... Im guessing you do not have the audiophile option so no amp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have already removed the front door speakers, in the 6x8 space for the speaker, it has a tweeter and a "midrange to woofer" speaker, different than those in the rear door speakers

Back