Add-an-Amp/Sub to OEM sound? (non-Ford) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Add-an-Amp/Sub to OEM sound? (non-Ford)

BuffaloXplorer

The X had to go!
Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Impala SS
I'll understand if you refuse to help me... :( ...i had to do it!

I recently purchased a 2006 Chevrolet Impala SS, but chose one without the Bose 8-speaker system plus amp & sub. That package didn't impress me, nor did it come on the one i could afford. Instead, i got just the standard 6-speaker system with no amp/sub. The headunits are identicle with either.

I want to add my own amp & sub without swapping head units. Can this be done? I would think you'd need to tap into the speakers on each side, then to the amp, but i don't think i've ever seen an amp that accepted standard wire as an input (as opposed to RCA-type connections).

Whattaya think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Traitor!!!!!!

It can be done. You need an Amp with speaker level inputs. You splice into the left and right channels and run it to the Amp into the speaker level inputs. And then run it from the Amp to the Sub. If you can't get an Amp with speaker level inputs (they're common.) you can use a line output level converter or called something like that. It splices into the speaker wires behind the HU and you hook up RCA cables to that and then run it to the Amp.

Well, i checked into it and my Sony Xplod has line-level inputs, so i should be ok with that...I actually remember reading about the inputs when i bought it 3 years ago.

My only hesitation is tapping into the factory electrical. Any recommendations on how to do it right the first time (i.e. what type of connectors, splicers, etc.)? Should i use the spealer-level ins or should i do the rec-type connections? The only drawback to line-level ins that i can see is that i'm limited to what gauge speaker wire i could use.

Thoughts?

please dont get a sony amp... You can buy a line output converter that taps into the speaker wires and will give you RCA outputs. You can run any amp you want. These LOCs only cost $10 to $20

Radio Shack sells line out converters to convert the wires that you tap, into rca connectors and corrects impedance for use with standard amps....

I think he means a Sony amp he already has. The best way to connect it would probably be to strip off a section of wire splice the wire that will run into the amp and solder them on. That's kind of permant though. You could use a tap connector. It clamps on the wire and has metal that pierces the insulation and connects to the wire. You then connect a spade connector to it. Not permanant, you can take them off and tape the wire back up. If you didn't want to do anything to the stock wiring you could get a wiring harness hook it to stock harness. Then get a reverse wiring harness or cut the harness out of a impala from a junk yard that plugs into your head unit. Wire the two together. You can wire everything together but the speaker wires, and run the speaker wires to your amp.

I'd still go with the line out converter.... the deck probably has 4-8 ohms of resistance...

I don't think the inputs for a standard amp are set up for an INPUT of that resistance...

briwayjones said:
Probably not, but one with speaker level inputs would be okay. He said his had them, unless I missed something?

Only read his first post, my bad.

Yeah, i've already got a Sony Xplod 760w amp - cheap i know but it's what i got. Buy some of the stuff i'm sellin and i'll buy a good one ;)

dont go behind the radio just run cables form the BACK speakers to the amp it shouldnt be to hard.

Back