• Register Today It's free!

2008 Mountaineer Premier 4.6 2wd

thatlarryguy

Reaction score
City, State
Burnet, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mercury Mountaineer
I am looking at a 2008 Mountaineer with the 4.6 V8 and 104000 miles. I can't find any record of the plugs ever having been changed or the transmission serviced. I'm thinking it is time, or maybe past time actually. Is Ford still suggesting 150,000 on the trans before fluid change? The car runs and shifts smoothly for now but I sure would like to get the same kind of service out of it that my 99 has given me.

Just about everyone here in this forum has changed their plugs well before the "recommended" mileage and had to service their transmission due to shifting issues well before the "recommended" mileage. Sounds to me like it is quite possible that both were done already for it to be driving so well. You can pull a plug and see what they look like and check the condition of the fluid and then go from there in terms of deciding what to do. If you have the brown COP spark plug boots then you have the redesigned heads on the 4.6 and changing plugs shouldn't be that much of an issue.

It has the black boots and a build date of 8/07 so the old head. Carfax shows a transmission check at 30k so maybe they did the TSB at that point. No other powertrain services listed. Plugs may be just another bargaining chip....

Back