2008 SPORTRAC - BACKUP CAMERA AND RADIO | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 SPORTRAC - BACKUP CAMERA AND RADIO

RUTH MCGUIRE

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 sportrac
Hi. I am Evelyn. I have had 3 sportracs and have loved everyone. Currently have 2008 and want to install backup camera system with enhanced radio. Any suggestions???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Evelyn, welcome to the forum. Sorry I can not help you with a back up camera & radio as I still have the stock radios in our trucks.

Hi. I am Evelyn. I have had 3 sportracs and have loved everyone. Currently have 2008 and want to install backup camera system with enhanced radio. Any suggestions???
I used a Kenwood DNX944S, it works great. It has Android Auto and Apple Car Play.

Attachments

• IMG_8694.JPG
    IMG_8694.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_8695.JPG
    IMG_8695.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 180

Evelyn,
I just bought and installed a Jensen Car1000 with backup camera. I will be putting the camera on the license plate surround so I can still have back up camera when the tailgate is down which is a lot because of the short bed.

1601321296708.png

I bought my setup from Crutchfield. They have a good price range and can integrate a new radio to let you retain your factory functions and steering wheel controls. They give very good advice and installation tips. I have no connection, only a satisfied customer.

WE put a SONY XAV-AX1000 6.2" with car play and SXM. We put the camera on the license plate trim, and it has a very clear camera,& a remote. WE like it fine. FWIW...................................... GOOD LUCK its a tough choice out there !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took a chance on a Amazon radio (B089SJZX6Q) made especially for our gen Fords, and its been fantastic! It looks factory right down to the chrome trimmed dials and the option to have the Ford logo displayed on start-up. No idea what brand name it is but for $170 I thought what the heck. It was totally plug and play and only had 1 issue with the wiring (which I noted in my Amazon review) but was an easy fix. The output for the backup camera comes on as soon as you put the vehicle in reverse, and only requires you to pick a camera of your choice and plug it in. Sound and video is great, plenty of auxiliaries, and Bluetooth ready. I did however loose the ability to use sync (no biggie for me) but steering wheel controls still work.

71SsvaDYhuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Nice find, Tater. Only downside is that unit does not have Carplay.

Not sure if you started or finished your install.

I am almost done with my install in an 08 limited.
Pioneer AVH-2550NEX (CarPlay and Bluetooth)
Back up camera mounted at the bottom of the license plate frame.

Was trying to use my factory sub and ran in to the sub pop due to 12v remote that needs to be 5v. (Buy a kit that has a harness, sub adapter, antenna adapter, dash kit)

I buy stereos from Amazon and Sound of Tristate because they have bundles this time I purchased from eBay because I wanted a specific model.

I am sitting under $300 self installed for the whole backup system. I knew something was wrong with the rears but changing the stereo confirmed it, I now need new rear speakers.

Where is the easiest place to get the backup wire into the cab? I have a 2010 ST
In the past I used to shove it through an existing grommet but had some issues this time around so I drilled a small hole near the emergency brake cable and installed a grommet. Ran a 2 pair shielded wire (one pair for reverse light trigger wire, one pair for video signal) to the back of the truck and made my own tips. If you can puncture an existing grommet and shove a pre-made cable that would work.

I am trying to hook up my backup camera right now. Which wire is the reverse trigger wire on a 2007 Sport trac? I see a red a black and a purple wire coming from the selector. Could it be the purple that I connect the cameras trigger wire to?

I am trying to hook up my backup camera right now. Which wire is the reverse trigger wire on a 2007 Sport trac? I see a red a black and a purple wire coming from the selector. Could it be the purple that I connect the cameras trigger wire to?
you will probably be better off bringing it back from the reverse light.
the logic at the selector may be wrong.
the other option is if you put on a
CANbus decoder for ignition and illumination, there is probably a reverse signal decoded there also

you will probably be better off bringing it back from the reverse light.
the logic at the selector may be wrong.
the other option is if you put on a
CANbus decoder for ignition and illumination, there is probably a reverse signal decoded there also
thanks for the info. However, I connected the power and ground from the camera to the reverse lights and it still doesn't trigger the screen to come on while in reverse. I get nothing. Am I missing something?

The
thanks for the info. However, I connected the power and ground from the camera to the reverse lights and it still doesn't trigger the screen to come on while in reverse. I get nothing. Am I missing something?
There should be a reverse trigger on the stereo that should get 12v from the reverse lights too.

Some stereos it’s violet/white, might want to check your manual.

Evelyn,
I just bought and installed a Jensen Car1000 with backup camera. I will be putting the camera on the license plate surround so I can still have back up camera when the tailgate is down which is a lot because of the short bed.

View attachment 321735
Hey Tyler! My name is Mike. I was looking into installing the same Jensen1000 unit into my 2010 Sport Trac LTD. Are you still happy with your choice? Any regrets? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Tyler! My name is Mike. I was looking into installing the same Jensen1000 unit into my 2010 Sport Trac LTD. Are you still happy with your choice? Any regrets? Thanks!
Mike,
I love mine. If there was any criticism it would be that the Android Auto and Apple Carplay need to be tethered with the USB cable. It does not use the Bluetooth. Bluetooth is used only for the phone calls and music.

Back