2008 Stuck in Park intermittently, shifter problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Stuck in Park intermittently, shifter problem

4FordFamily

Been there done that
Reaction score
City, State
Fishers, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 Sport, 08, other ford
Hey all,

I have an intermittent issue with my explorer. Go figure, my mechanic cannot get the vehicle to reproduce my issue.

On occasion, you will get in vehicle, start it up like normal, and reach for the floor shifter (I think this is new for 2008, but not sure) and press the button on the back of the shifter so you can slide from park to drive or reverse or whatever.

Well this button on back cannot be pressed. (It feels like it does when your car isnt on and you try to put it in gear).

My gut feeling is that this is an ignition issue, as this has happened in the past to a Taurus I had as well. Wiggling the key would allow you to shift from park. It also wouldn't let you turn the key without wiggling.

On days it decides to work-- it works fine. You can put it in and out of park 100 times and drive around no problem. Come back to it later and it may or may not work. The key has to come in and out for it to act up is my suspect... eluding to my ignition hypothesis.

When you hit the brake, it gives you access to shift and press the shifter button to move through transmission settings. You can hear and feel it. When this is acting up, no amount of brake pushing seems to make a difference, but removing key and turning it more can occasionally free you of the issue

Anyway, anyone else know what this could be?

What should I tell the mechanic to fix?

Could it be a beat up key? Need new ignition?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pop the top of the console off and watch the solenoid and the shift block lever when you are having the problem. You could have a bad solenoid or the solenoid is not getting a signal when you are stepping on the brake pedal. The fact that you cannot push the button confirms that the solenoid is not pushing the stop block out of the way.

I am sure that you could disconnect the lead to the solenoid and test it for 12 v when you step on the brake pedal.

I just busted the lock off on mine. Not the button but the tab on the actuator that locks out the button. There is also a fix, a board that supplies the voltage to the actuator/solenoid. Other than that you have to swap the whole shift mechanism out. Around 200 for the replacement from tasca.

Yup you're right, I replaced the entire unit for 250 installed at local shop (who is usually MUCH cheaper than the competition).

Well I knew it was a mistake to buy the first model year that they put the shifter on the floor! DOH

glad you got it fixed, but FYI the shifter on the floor started in 2006.

Back