2009 Ford Explorer 4.6 latest PCM and TCM calibrations | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2009 Ford Explorer 4.6 latest PCM and TCM calibrations

mickl05

Reaction score
City, State
Manaus
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Explorer 4.6 limited
Hello to everyone! I own 2009 model year explorer 4.6 with 6R80 transmission (build October 2008). Unfortunately in the place where i live there is no ford dealer. Sometimes my transmission has noticeable (rough) shifts, especially 1-2 and 3-4 shifts. New Mercon LV didn’t change the shifts quality. I want to download and update PCM and TCM calibrations to the latest versions, but unfortunately I don’t now their number? Are they JPCH1A6 for PCM and 9L2P-7J104-AG for TCM?
Can anyone who own 2009 model year Explorer with 4.6 engine look in for example Forscan what calibrations do you have? Thank you very much!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello to everyone! I own 2009 model year explorer 4.6 with 6R80 transmission (build October 2008). Unfortunately in the place where i live there is no ford dealer. Sometimes my transmission has noticeable (rough) shifts, especially 1-2 and 3-4 shifts. New Mercon LV didn’t change the shifts quality. I want to download and update PCM and TCM calibrations to the latest versions, but unfortunately I don’t now their number? Are they JPCH1A6 for PCM and 9L2P-7J104-AG for TCM?
Can anyone who own 2009 model year Explorer with 4.6 engine look in for example Forscan what calibrations do you have? Thank you very much!
Hey I have 2010 Explorer 4.6 4WD I'm currently on 9L2P-7J104-AG TCM
PCM JPCH1A6.HEX

No idea how to check the calibration file version.
If you have any of the explained erratic transmission behavior, check mechanics first.liquids,filter and relearn.

Program version will change nothing on most cases.

Hey I have 2010 Explorer 4.6 4WD I'm currently on 9L2P-7J104-AG TCM
PCM JPCH1A6.HEX
Thank you very much! Uploaded today this calibration, all shifts have improved significantly, solved all my problems

Thank you very much! Uploaded today this calibration, all shifts have improved significantly, solved all my problems
Hey were they any other updates available for the TCM or was mine the latest? I have the driveline bump issue when braking at low speeds, Ford said it should have been fixed in the 9L2P-7J104-AG but mine still does it. Also I bought this Explorer with 164,000 miles, what's yall opinion on changing the Transmission Fluid? Should I change it or leave it alone? Thanks

Hey were they any other updates available for the TCM or was mine the latest? I have the driveline bump issue when braking at low speeds, Ford said it should have been fixed in the 9L2P-7J104-AG but mine still does it. Also I bought this Explorer with 164,000 miles, what's yall opinion on changing the Transmission Fluid? Should I change it or leave it alone? Thanks
I recommend changing the fluid soon and doing this twice over a 5k mile period since you don't know if it has ever been changed. This way you will replace about 75%-80% of the old fluid. Following Ford's crazy long 150k mile service interval is not wise. The 6R60/80 transmissions don't tolerate old fluid well and should be serviced every 60k miles. I this is done then they will likely be very reliable. Worn fluid could be causing you issue. When changing you fluid, disconnection the battery for at least 30 minutes to clear the memory so it can relearn with the new fluid in place.

I recommend changing the fluid soon and doing this twice over a 5k mile period since you don't know if it has ever been changed. This way you will replace about 75%-80% of the old fluid. Following Ford's crazy long 150k mile service interval is not wise. The 6R60/80 transmissions don't tolerate old fluid well and should be serviced every 60k miles. I this is done then they will likely be very reliable. Worn fluid could be causing you issue. When changing you fluid, disconnection the battery for at least 30 minutes to clear the memory so it can relearn with the new fluid in place.
OK I didn't know they had that high of an interval, with mine being at the 164,000 mark when I got it, I was worried about changing it because of the horror stories of people changing transmission fluid with high mileage only to end up with bigger problems. Thanks I'll change the fluid, I have an Autel MS906TS with the ability to do reset adaptive shift in the TCM.

Most of the horror stories I've heard about is when they do a flush on the transmission. Just dropping the pan and replacing the lost fluid usually doesn't present problems. Good time to check the filter and the pan seal. You might want to seek out a transmission shop with experience with these vehicles because they'll know what to look for. Don't know if I'd trust places like AAMCO. They may know what to look for but, from experience, not sure about the quality of work they do. I took mine to a locally owned shop voted best in Omaha and they did a great job. Little google searching and you'll find a good one.

Also, I recommend changing the bulkhead sleeve because this item is known to go bad as the miles rack up. This is easy to do while the pan is dropped and is an inexpensive part at $22. If it starts to leak then you will need to do another pan drop to replace it and Mercon LV transmission fluid isn't cheap these days.

Amazon product ASIN B000NTF1BG

To add to my post above, only use a Motorcraft part.

Also, I recommend changing the bulkhead sleeve because this item is known to go bad as the miles rack up. This is easy to do while the pan is dropped and is an inexpensive part at $22. If it starts to leak then you will need to do another pan drop to replace it and Mercon LV transmission fluid isn't cheap these days.

Amazon product ASIN B000NTF1BG
Thanks Eddie! That's the part I was trying to think of. The place I went to recommended that be changed so I had them do it. They said it's something most shops miss.

Thanks Eddie! That's the part I was trying to think of. The place I went to recommended that be changed so I had them do it. They said it's something most shops miss.
If they recommended this to be done then they are a good shop. Paying $22 for a part that takes five minutes to replace once the pan is dropped, is better than paying the fee for another transmission service just to replace the sleeve not long after a service.

Thanks I'll grab the sleeve I'm currently at 174,000 miles I'll keep you guys posted

Yes, 9L2P-7J104-AG is the latest. Definitely i refiners changing the trans fluid with Mercon LV and new OEM oil filter. After that clear the adaptive table with any scanner and that should help with 2-1 bump

If it starts to leak then you will need to do another pan drop to replace it and Mercon LV transmission fluid isn't cheap these days.
Just to throw this out as far as LV price, looking around at prices, Rock Auto had the cheapest price I saw with shipping. About $38 for 5 qts Mercon LV with shipping and tax.

Hey guys!!! I ordered the sleeve off Amazon for $ 22.00, Gallon Jug of Mercon LV, $ 36.99(Amazon), Motorcraft FT-171 $ 36.00, 2 Quarts of Mercon LV $ 24.99 (Autozone). Dropped the pan and realized the Sleeve has already been changed, has the updated black O-Rings, replaced it anyway. When I went to put the new sleeve it was a battle but i finally got it in following Brian's(Fordtechmakuloco) Bulk Sleeve Tip video. Pulled out almost eight quarts I pumped in 7 Quarts which put it right in the hash marks with Transmission at 160 Degrees. Went in the TCM reset adaptive shift KAM, Transmission is shifting great. Thanks again for your help 😎

A fluid and filter change along with a reset of the memory has solved 6R60/80 transmission issues for a lot of people here. Me being one of them. Its good to hear it worked for you too.

Do you have any info about online retailers selling refurbished/flashed ecms?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back