2010 Explorer 4.6 V8 - 207k miles? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 Explorer 4.6 V8 - 207k miles?

1996ex

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.0 XLT 4WD
There’s a nice 2010 Explorer 4.6 V8 for sale for $6000, but it has 208k miles. Do people think that’s too many miles?

I’ve heard this engine described as one of Ford’s best, but what would wear at higher miles, the timing chain and guides?

These are getting hard to find, so it’s something I’m considering!

Whether it has more life left in it all comes down to if it has been well maintained AND it hasn't lived its life in areas that heavily salts the roads in the winter. Well maintained, and not suffering from excess rust, 4th gen V8 models can go for 300k or more miles.

Get a Carfax report and see if it has a decent maintenance history and if it has lived its life outside the rust belt. Then do a thorough inspection for issues. See if there are any trouble codes and if the codes have been recently cleared, then this could be a cause for concern.

If you do buy it then replace ALL fluids and make any repairs that are needed. This will give you the best chance to get another 100k+ miles out of it.

That price is way too high for the mileage. I bought my 09 V8 2WD w/ 205k miles for $3,500 4-5 years ago. It now has about 235k miles and runs fine given mileage and age.

The prices for used vehicles is much different today than it was 4-5 years ago. I agree that the price for tis one is high but might be justified if it isn't suffering from excessive rust and has a verifiable good maintenance history. I am just glad I bought my Mountaineer in 2019, for $6,500 with a little over 100k miles, before all the COVID nonsense started which caused vehicle prices to skyrocket along with inflation.

Back