2010 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 Explorer Power Steering Issue

yankeedoyle

Reaction score
City, State
Victoria, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer Limited
I have a 2010 Explorer Limited with 33K on it and I'm experiencing power steering shutter at slow speeds (e.g. turning into and out of a parking space). I have the standard 3 option 4X4 system so 99% of the time it's on 4X4 Auto. I would expect to experience this during the regular 4X4 mode but the problem has actually worsened. The dealer originally said there was air in the system so it needed to be bled (which would have been covered under warranty) but then they changed their minds and tried to charge me ~$100 for a power steering flush. Please let me know if anyone else is experiencing this issue and if so what's the cause and fix? Thanks!

I'd be willing to bet its not your power steering system at all, but your transfer case locking up due to unevenly worn tires. you can troubleshoot this by unplugging the connectors to the 4x4 module, which is behind the glove box. With the plugs disconnected from the 4X4cm, test by taking some low speed tight turns. you will probably get some wrenches or check engine light from the module being unplugged, but it will prevent the transfer case from locking up...

My 2008 v8 does the same thing. Dealer replaced rack , pump , all lines and cooler, lower steering shaft and it still does it. Removed front drive shaft , unplugged transfer case , swapped to new tires and wheels from a used truck etc etc etc. Still has the same noise/sensation. They by-passed the cooler loop behind grill opening and the noise and sensation stopped. Ford engineering said that its fluid resonance through the cooler and normal. Dealer was told by ford not to put anymore parts in the truck. Sadly Ford has given up on it , and frankly so have I. Very tiring ordeal , just to be told it was normal. My question that could not be answered was if it is indeed "normal" why were all those parts put in ? My dealer was fantastic throughout they went above and beyond to try and repair. Ford closed the door on it saying the old "normal" operation.

Back