2010 Limited 4x4 4.6L V8 Trans. ID | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 Limited 4x4 4.6L V8 Trans. ID

IronManEx

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT Ironman
Can someone more knowledgeable then me help identify a 2010 Ford Explorer w/ 4.6L V8 4x4 trans type?
Door code is: 6
Need to know if its the 5R55S or the 6R60/80

I across one that need a timing job, front control arm & ball joints and probably rear strut for $6000
Front diff or one of the wheel bearings has a little noise
Has all the options except for rear camera
I want to purchase it if it has the 6 speed but I forgot to hook my scanner up and ID it..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the only 4.6 that was offered with a 5r55 was the mustang and like 02-04 explorers yours definitely has the 6r60/80.... easy way to tell is check the trans pan and see if there is a little yellow dipstick if there is then its not a 5r55x

the only 4.6 that was offered with a 5r55 was the mustang and like 02-04 explorers yours definitely has the 6r60/80.... easy way to tell is check the trans pan and see if there is a little yellow dipstick if there is then its not a 5r55x
Thanks for the info
I have done many timing repairs on the 4.0 V6
but have yet too do on the 4.6 V8
I may remove the engine and go though it as I intend to put another 40,000 on it in the next 3-4 years

Does the 6R trans have any failure points that are good to check to keep in in service?
I'm only familiar with the 5R

All 4th gen explorers with the 4.6 are 6 speed trans. 06/07 & part of 08 were 6r60, then changeover to 6r80. The trans "dipstick" is only visible from underneath. I will look for info on the door tag.

This is from my 06 shop manual. Your door tag may be similar:
Under TR on the door tag:
V - 5 speed automatic, 5R55S
X- 6 speed automatic, 6R60

This is from my 06 shop manual. Your door tag may be similar:
Under TR on the door tag:
V - 5 speed automatic, 5R55S
X- 6 speed automatic, 6R60

Attachments

• PXL_20201001_014447645.jpg
    PXL_20201001_014447645.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 117

8th digit in the vin identifies engine.:

E - 4.0l sohc V6
8 - 4.6l 3 valve V8

You have a 4.6 3valve with 6R80 trans

If you did timing on 4.0, timing on 4.6 is a piece of cake :)
6R80 is super reliable if maintained well.

How many miles ?
The seller does not need to know it but for a shop, that timing job, bearing, strut and possibly front diff may be a 3,000 job easily.

Use it as a negotiation point. I think 6k is a little high with those "defects".
But you can get a used front pumpkin anywhere, all 02-10 will fit. Then it's just 3 bolts and CV shafts.
Strut is a $100 easy replacement.

Those explorers never came with the camera out of the factory.

If you did timing on 4.0, timing on 4.6 is a piece of cake :)
6R80 is super reliable if maintained well.

How many miles ?
The seller does not need to know it but for a shop, that timing job, bearing, strut and possibly front diff may be a 3,000 job easily.

Use it as a negotiation point. I think 6k is a little high with those "defects".
But you can get a used front pumpkin anywhere, all 02-10 will fit. Then it's just 3 bolts and CV shafts.
Strut is a $100 easy replacement.

Those explorers never came with the camera out of the factory.
130k miles
I ended up getting it for $4,250 out the door.
I ordered a Cloyes timing kit, new chains, tensioners, guides, vvt phasers and solenoids
I am considering replacing the oil pump while the timing is out

So far I'm really loving having a explorer again.
I had a 2008 Ironman Ed with the 4.0 that I really liked
I rebuilt the timing and fixed the transmission and it was like new with 200k miles
lift kit and good tires
I drove it for a week and had a random person make me a cash offer I could not refuse for it
Ended up getting a F150 with a 5.4 that needed timing and oil pump that I fixed and drove for 4 years
but I always liked this Gen explorer more

So your back for a while ironman?

Can you do some sort of re & re on the timing chains?

Does Cloyes make phasers for the Tritons ?
If you fixed 5.4 (3 valve ?) on an F-150, 4.6 is basically the same as you know.

Does Cloyes make phasers for the Tritons ?
If you fixed 5.4 (3 valve ?) on an F-150, 4.6 is basically the same as you know.
Cloyes timing kit for the truck
Melling Oil Pump
I'm probably just going to remove the engine and do the manifolds as well.

I'm looking at different tuners. Hopefully when the timing is fixed I will get some throttle response out of it.

IDK if I'm suited for making a tutorial, I'm just a gearhead not much of a host.
This guy has some great videos.

Ironman, you are just like most of the regulars here. We are also gearheads, like to help each other and take great pride when we can successfully do it ourselves. Any input you have is better than no input.

Pulling the engine out to do the manifolds is cheating :)
Do it the hard way like we all did LOL

Seriously, that will make that job a lot easier.

Back