2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 71 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Currently have the same issue, vehicle at the Ford dealership since before the 4th of July. Parts are back ordered and was told 6-8 months before we receive the vehicle back and they will not issue a loaner for more than 10 days.......wtf Ford
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The 10-day rental coverage per occurrence is the maximum Ford will offer, even if you have the ESP. After reading many posts here and on the other sites, these long delays seem to be the norm these days. Some members have been told that they can't even get an appointment for a month or two.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 10-day rental coverage per occurrence is the maximum Ford will offer, even if you have the ESP. After reading many posts here and on the other sites, these long delays seem to be the norm these days. Some members have been told that they can't even get an appointment for a month or two.

Peter
See and I really think if others much like myself paid for the extended warranty and/or are still in Manufacturer warranty a loaner of equal or greater value should be given to you for the inconvenience. Considering the ridiculous amount of money they charge for a new vehicle these days you should not have to be left without a replacement vehicle, I mean I am still making payments on a vehicle that I can now not drive and it is obviously a manufacturer faulted issue. The vehicle barely has 20k in miles and this should never have happened.

See and I really think if others much like myself paid for the extended warranty and/or are still in Manufacturer warranty a loaner of equal or greater value should be given to you for the inconvenience. Considering the ridiculous amount of money they charge for a new vehicle these days you should not have to be left without a replacement vehicle, I mean I am still making payments on a vehicle that I can now not drive and it is obviously a manufacturer faulted issue. The vehicle barely has 20k in miles and this should never have happened.
If your vehicle is laid up for the 6-8 months that you mentioned, there is a good chance Ford may provide some relieve there. Others have some payments forgiven. As far as providing a loaner of equal or greater value, I haven't heard of Ford doing that except for LIncoln vehicles where they also provide pick-up and delivery service.

Peter

Hello. My 2014 Explorer is experiencing the "Steering Assist Fault" problem. I see that I am not involved in the recall.

My question is, does anyone know the part that needs to be ordered? I would like to have an independent mechanic do the work (then have ford flash). I would like to start looking for the needed part.

Thank you

Hello,

Can anybody advise about loss of power steering?

"Power Steering Assist Fault" warning came on sometimes. After turning off the ignition and re-starting the engine, the warning went away and I regained power steering.

A few days ago, I had the same problem. I started the car and the same "Power Steering Assist Fault" warning stayed on. It stayed on even after restarting the engine several times. The "Service Advance Trac" warning also stayed on and I lost the Terrain Management function. And turn signals don't stay on anymore.

Today, I used a scanner that displayed error code U3000:96-C8.

From what I have read so far, it might be necessary to replace the steering rack but that would be very costly. I am still searching for possible others solutions.

I would ensure the electrical system basics are in working order. Test the battery, test the alternator and you could also try resetting the battery control module. Using ForScan, you should be able to see all DTC history and live status of modules (including steering system)

Hello,

Can anybody advise about loss of power steering?

"Power Steering Assist Fault" warning came on sometimes. After turning off the ignition and re-starting the engine, the warning went away and I regained power steering.

A few days ago, I had the same problem. I started the car and the same "Power Steering Assist Fault" warning stayed on. It stayed on even after restarting the engine several times. The "Service Advance Trac" warning also stayed on and I lost the Terrain Management function. And turn signals don't stay on anymore.

Today, I used a scanner that displayed error code U3000:96-C8.

From what I have read so far, it might be necessary to replace the steering rack but that would be very costly. I am still searching for possible others solutions.
Your thread was merged with this one on the same issue. Chances are a new rack is going to be required.
There are also other threads on this issue.

Peter

So I hooked up my explorer and using forscan I see the steering angle is stuck at -780.00 degrees. The signal from the steering wheel controls as well as from the turn signal stalk all work fine according to the oscilloscope feature. I'm leaning toward the steering position sensor being bad. Does anyone know what further checks should be made? Thanks, Greg.
Greg,
hello. i have a family member whose Explorer has the same symptoms. were you able to get your car fixed? was it a bad steering position sensor? thank you.

Greg,
hello. i have a family member whose Explorer has the same symptoms. were you able to get your car fixed? was it a bad steering position sensor? thank you.
Welcome to the Forum Doug. :wave:
I don't know if Greg is still around. The last time he was seen here was March 26, 2022.

Peter

Hello!

Newcomers and just bought a 2nd hand 2017 explorer. On the same day we brought it home and we went to groceries the dash showed “steering loss stop safely” , “tire pressure sensor fault”, “hill start assist nor available” , “service advance trac”.

It is frustrating but on the good side, at least we were parked when it happened. And imagine the horror because we were with our two kids.

Anyway, do you have any idea how much is the repair?

Hello!

Newcomers and just bought a 2nd hand 2017 explorer. On the same day we brought it home and we went to groceries the dash showed “steering loss stop safely” , “tire pressure sensor fault”, “hill start assist nor available” , “service advance trac”.

It is frustrating but on the good side, at least we were parked when it happened. And imagine the horror because we were with our two kids.

Anyway, do you have any idea how much is the repair?
Did you really lose the steering? Have you been able to see if any trouble (DTC) codes were set? Some automotive stores will do a free check. It's impossible to say what a repair would cost if we don't know the actual problem. Did the dealer not provide any type of warranty? What is the mileage?

Peter

Living in Belgium, driving my US spec '16 limited. EPAS failed (locked up and wouldn't reset). Local Ford dealerships and a recommended shop that works with Americans wouldn't touch it due to the reprogramming bit. Finally found a guy that knew a guy that could do the repair. Ordered the part off Rockauto, gave it to them and they replaced it. None of them speak English so it's hard to get details on what they did or didn't do. Works fine/drives fine except I keep getting the "service advancetrac", "hill start assist not available" messages on start up. Did a scan today and pulled the following ABS codes; U0420-86 and U0131. So at the end of the day, I really can't turn to a ford dealership (I think...) locally but I would like to try and get the errors resolved and was hoping maybe someone has some ideas on what my next step should be.

Back