2011 explorer headlight help? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 explorer headlight help?

damn1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer
has anyone attempted to change the headlight bulb? im trying to remove headlight from truckbut the bottom seems to held by something.any help is appreciated?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

has anyone attempted to change the headlight bulb? im trying to remove headlight from truckbut the bottom seems to held by something.any help is appreciated?
Looking at the manual it appears to be fairly straight forward. Remove cover and turn bulb holder counter clockwise and remove. Of course a diagram doesn't account for other possible problems like you seem to have encountered. Maybe you are not holding your tongue in the right position.:D
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. I'm sure someone must have changed one of their headlight bulbs. Let's hope they are a forum member.

i hope i keys trying but its easier when your able to remove the headlight off the truck

Should be coverd by BtoB warranty. Bulbs were covered in my '09 Enclave.

I changed the bulbs in mine and it was a complete PAIN IN THE @SS. I had a Nitro before the explorer and could change those bulbs in under a minute. The explorer took me forever and I remember swearing the whole time. I don't like the bulbs I put in it and have sat on them for months cause I don't want to put new ones in as it is a night project.

I changed the bulbs in mine and it was a complete PAIN IN THE @SS. I had a Nitro before the explorer and could change those bulbs in under a minute. The explorer took me forever and I remember swearing the whole time. I don't like the bulbs I put in it and have sat on them for months cause I don't want to put new ones in as it is a night project.

Why is it such a pain to replace them?

In case someone is looking to change the bulbs I finally changed them there is a screw behind the grill one on top and a pin that secure it and yes it's a pain

It's not necessary to remove the entire headlamp assembly to replace a bulb. Simply pull the rubber boot of the rear of the assembly, rotate the bulb counterclockwise and pull out. You can either disconnect the wire before or after. Passenger side has a lot more room and is easier than drivers side, but all in all, takes less than 5 minutes tops

It's not necessary to remove the entire headlamp assembly to replace a bulb. Simply pull the rubber boot of the rear of the assembly, rotate the bulb counterclockwise and pull out. You can either disconnect the wire before or after. Passenger side has a lot more room and is easier than drivers side, but all in all, takes less than 5 minutes tops
That is more or less what I mentioned in the second post. What the manual shows seems fairly simple although I haven't tried it. The only difference from my previous Highlander was that after you removed the rubber boot, the Highlander had a spring clip to undo. You could perform the entire operation in about a minute.

My problem is that after I remove the rubber boot, there is a metal square piece that says OSRAM ELECTRONICS that's blocking access to the light bulb. Does anyone know what that is. It's in front of both of the bulbs. Thanks in advance for any advice with this.

My problem is that after I remove the rubber boot, there is a metal square piece that says OSRAM ELECTRONICS that's blocking access to the light bulb. Does anyone know what that is. It's in front of both of the bulbs. Thanks in advance for any advice with this.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Does your Limited have Halogen or HID headlamps? If HID, I wonder if those could be the ballasts. From the manual;
"Replacing HID headlamp bulbs (if equipped)
The headlamps on your vehicle use a “high-intensity discharge” source. These lamps operate at a high voltage. When the bulb is burned out, the bulb and starter capsule assembly must be replaced by your authorized dealer."

Peter

Back