2011 Explorer Makes "Farting" Noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer Makes "Farting" Noise

xAnarChisTx

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Explorer Limited 4WD
So my 2011 Explorer Limited 3.5L is starting to make a farting noise in the front-end of the vehicle. I recently brought it into the dealer for the exhaust recall, and also had them replace fluids in the differentials, transfer case and transmission. After I got it back, I did not notice the noise until yesterday when I remote-started it. I didn't hear the noise at idle at first, but today it seemed more audible. It definitely gets louder when putting any acceleration on it.

I thought it sounded like either an intake or exhaust issue. I already checked the intake to make sure it was secure, and the filter and filter box and did not see anything odd. I will be checking out underneath it tomorrow, in hopes of finding the source of the sound.

The car seems to be driving fine, no issues with acceleration and no slippage from the transmission, and nothing out of the ordinary when driving it, just the noise. Also, the noise is there when I cold start the car, as well as after driving it around and warming it up.

Any thoughts on what else it could be, or what I should look for tomorrow when I check out underneath it?

Just to be clear, when you said "exhaust recall" are you referring to the carbon monoxide issue?
  • Field Service Action Number: 17N03

Peter

Just to be clear, when you said "exhaust recall" are you referring to the carbon monoxide issue?
  • Field Service Action Number: 17N03

Peter

Yes, correct.

So I looked under the car today, and saw that the flex part on the front pipe has a hole in it, making the noise. Looks like it's time to replace it. When the Ford techs were working on it, maybe they pushed or moved it, and because its 120,000 miles old it didn't take it well.

Back