2011 Explorer Police Interceptor | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer Police Interceptor

Future dialog:
"License and registration."
"Yes sir, here you go. Oh and no offense officer, but your cruiser has no balls."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Future dialog:
"Yes sir, here you go. Oh and no offense officer, but your cruiser has no balls."

Son, this may be true. But, it had enough balls to catch and stop you.

Future dialog:

When it gets the ecoboost it will have plenty of balls, and be as fast as it needs to be to catch up with most speeders, or respond to a call.

lookin good

Which depending on the car you're driving would hold true no matter what police cruiser was trying to catch you.

I was driving a Yugo:D:thumbsup:

"Son, it may not have any balls, but I haven't seen anything yet that can outrun a Motorola!" :p:

My example was assuming I wasn't actually trying to outrun the cop. Kind of pointless to actually try to outrun the cops, it's a simple matter of numbers.
Only person I've ever heard be successful was a guy on an unlicensed dirtbike, but that was in the bush, and obviously an unfair matching.

Also, when I say "balls," that involves more than just speed.

I'm pretty sure I got away one time. While going to work one day, I was doing about 60 in a 45 in a group of 5 or so cars. My laser detector blows up from the cop sitting in the oncoming left turn lane. The group of cars simultaneously hits the brakes to slow down as we approach the intersection. The cop flips a quick u-turn in front of us, but the light at the intersection turned yellow and we all stop for the light. The cop pulls off the left against the center median waiting for our light to turn green. I was in the right lane (3 lane road) and second back. Now, I know he got me since my laser detector went off and he was in prime position to be able to fall in behind me and pull me over. What I don't know is if he liked someone else better- I didn't want to find out. When the light turned green, I turned right into a residential area and doubled back to the intersection 1/2 mile previous, crossed over the road I last saw the cop on to another road that parralleled it. I never saw any flashing lights.

I'd say: score 1 for the good guys though!

I'm pretty sure he was kicking himself for tipping his hand so early like he did. That light possibly saved me. And it's usually a light that's green too.

The new police Ex is decent, but if you want some real police cars, look no further than the Indiana State Police Force and their Mustangs
mustang-popo.jpg

2766343127_12a01d114a.jpg

Back to topic...The taurus is the better of the two. They should've equipped the new ex with the same taurus engine

The eco boost is only available in the sho taurus, and I'm willing to bet the Explorer will get it soon, maybe as the 2012 model.

Kansas highway patrol used to have camaros in their fleet, I hated them, way to hard to pick out at night, at least during the day you could see the slim lights on top and the liscense plate.

The new police Ex is decent, but if you want some real police cars, look no further than the Indiana State Police Force and their Mustangs
mustang-popo.jpg

2766343127_12a01d114a.jpg

Back to topic...The taurus is the better of the two. They should've equipped the new ex with the same taurus engine

Now THAT'S a police car!! RWD, V-8, that's all you need. No back seat though. I guess they'll have to pull you over and then call the Flexplorer to haul ya in:D:p:

Now THAT'S a police car!! RWD, V-8, that's all you need. No back seat though. I guess they'll have to pull you over and then call the Flexplorer to haul ya in:D:p:

It's just a 4.6 V8 nothing special, The new 5.0 will out run it and then some! The Ex is by far a better vehicle for a intercepter vehicle, then the 4.6 stang!

It's just a 4.6 V8 nothing special, The new 5.0 will out run it and then some!

Yeah. I know. But the point I was making was that the Mustang is REAR-WHEEL-DRIVE with a V-Frakkin'-8 engine, as a real police car should be. Not some wrong-wheel-drive sissymobile.

The Ex is by far a better vehicle for a intercepter vehicle, then the 4.6 stang!

Oh I so beg to differ! I can't believe someone would even say something like that! How could a cheesy. wrong-wheel-drive imitation SUV even come remotely close to being anywhere in the same zip code as being as good as a REAR-WHEEL-DRIVE V-8 powered car?????

I'm still totally flabbergasted that anyone could even type those words...and even moreso that they could actually mean it...:eek:

So... If the situation arose, is the point catching the fleeing criminal in a FWD or AWD Explorer, or letting the guy escape because your RWD Mustang spun out in the snow?

I'm just sayin'... I've never seen anyone that had such deep-seeded hatred and animosity towards anything but RWD vehicles. Bad experience? Seriously- they're everywhere, they're not the second coming of the Antichrist... :)

Meanwhile... in a less than urban area, a perp takes a turn down a local dirt road and the 2011 Explorer has it's undercarriage and bumpers mauled while a Tahoe unit would be perfectly fine. I know of plenty of dirt roads that people could use as cut throughs around here, where anything with less than 8" of ground clearance (ie. 2011 Explorer, Tahoe 4x4 Unit has 10/9" F&R clearance) would not fair too well.
That just bothers me.

Hey- at least they'll be able to replace them for less money, since they'll be spending a lot less municipal and government dollars on fuel... :D (and there is 1.1" of ground clearance difference between the Tahoe and the '11 Explorer) Not that the Tahoe vs. Ex argument would much matter, I don't think they're offering the TMS in the Explorer PIP.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So... If the situation arose, is the point catching the fleeing criminal in a FWD or AWD Explorer, or letting the guy escape because your RWD Mustang spun out in the snow?

I'm just sayin'... I've never seen anyone that had such deep-seeded hatred and animosity towards anything but RWD vehicles. Bad experience? Seriously- they're everywhere, they're not the second coming of the Antichrist... :)
Sorry, its just a FWD is a pain in the *** to work on, and they engine bays just become so freakin compact! If they actually left some room to work on em, I may change my opinion on em.

Actually since I know these "fleet" vehicles kind of well, the AWD and 4X4 police cars are generally not built to with stand high speed chases, they are more in city trucks/suvs.
Directly from the ford fleet-
Explorer may not be used as an ambulance or as a pursuit vehicle (no excessive speed). For deployed airbag clearance zones, refer to the Special Service/Fleet Manual for mounting aftermarket equipment.
True...could we all substitute the 2011 Ex for a 2010 V8 Ex? (I know this is the V6 XLT, but the coppers in my area have the V8s)
imrxX_640480.jpg

Just why FWD? May as well do a FWD pick-up truck while we're at it... :rolleyes:

Meanwhile... in a less than urban area, a perp takes a turn down a local dirt road and the 2011 Explorer has it's undercarriage and bumpers mauled while a Tahoe unit would be perfectly fine. I know of plenty of dirt roads that people could use as cut throughs around here, where anything with less than 8" of ground clearance (ie. 2011 Explorer, Tahoe 4x4 Unit has 10/9" F&R clearance) would not fair too well.
That just bothers me.
I can guarantee you the tahoe is has as much plastic on it as the explorer, and would have just as much damage done. Also, I've heard GM has plans to take most SUVs to Unibody pretty soon, so be prepared...
And do a fair comparison...the Tahoe to Expedition. The Expedition does have a police unit

Back