2011 Explorer XLT - Radio Problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer XLT - Radio Problems

windexxed

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
Hello,

I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for; hopefully I just didn't miss it.

I have a 2011 Ford Explorer XLT that's well used (over 130k miles), my wife uses it to get around. It has the Sync2 system in it.

While it has a few issues with age, the one issue that's plagued it for the past 2 years has really gotten out of control. When listening to AM/FM radio, bluetooth audio or CD about 40% of the time there is a significant amount of static that comes through the speakers. Seems to happen regardless of volume level but it is barely noticeable at very very low volumes (as in you can barely hear the audio at that point).

At first I thought the speakers were blown in it (I know she likes loud music during her commute), however the speakers were in good shape and there was no change in swapping them out.

While I could be wrong, I don't think there's an electrical short in the speaker wiring - it doesn't seem to matter if I hit a bump or not; it just happens randomly. Sometimes the static will last for days, sometimes for minutes. Sometimes it won't happen for a month.

Unfortunately by the time I learned about the 5 year extension on the APIM warranty; we were already out of the extension - local dealership told me I was out of luck.

I wish I could find an aftermarket system that would work in place of the Sync2; we have it in the explorer and our F150. While the F150 hasn't had problems yet, I'm expecting issues later on.

Welcome t o the Forum.:wave:
I just did a 'Search' and found a couple threads on static issues but none had a solution except one where the dealer had forgotten to put the 'pigtail' antenna into the base.
I doubt the issue is with the APIM. Could be a bad ground somewhere or a radio component starting to break down. Have you checked the antenna to ensure everything is tight?

Peter

While I haven't pulled the dash apart (yet), I don't think it's the antenna as it happens when listening to Pandora via Bluetooth or tethering via USB/iPhone Music

Back