2011 Ranger Traction Control Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Ranger Traction Control Questions

bam_bam1ca

Reaction score
City, State
kitchener, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT, 1970 Olds 442
Is anybody familiar with the operating characteristics of the 2011 Ranger traction control.

With the traction control activated, the truck is all but useless in light snow or ice. Once the wheels start to spin, the ignition starts to clip at about 2,000 rpm. If you push the button to turn off the traction control I notice that it is still activated, but just operates at about 3,000rpm, and if you continue to spin the wheels at 2500 to 3000 I hear a clunk from the left front wheel that sounds and feels as if the brake has been activated in that corner.

It's very frustrating having to switch in and out of 4x4 all the time just to keep from having issues with the traction control. I wish I had bought the truck in the winter instead of the summer so that I would have known about this quirk. It's to the point where if it is snowing out I just default to our 98 Explorer because it is so good to drive under these conditions without any issue.

Does somebody know a way to disable the traction control on the Ranger without voiding warranty?

Check to see if there is a fuse you can pull. Possibly that is the only function on the circuit. If not, you will have to do more digging.

I believe holding down the TC button (as opposed to pushing it) will eventually disable the system.

Back