2011 vs 2016 Differences

dco43054

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
cmh
Year, Model & Trim Level
20 XLT
After a lot of internal debate, I traded in my 2011 XLT for a 2016 XLT. Picked up the 2016 this morning. Both are 202a trim.

They look pretty much identical. The key visual differences are the front fascia and headlights as well as the wheels.

Haven't tried out the headlights yet for lighting improvements. I'm hoping the low beams have better peripheral coverage. I really hated the very directional lights on the '11 that made it difficult to see what was near the front corners when turning at night.

At the rear, the '11 had black trim across the bumper, and the hitch cover was black. On the '16, it is sort of silver.

The rear pillars on either side of the hatch at the rear window line had a continuous smooth curve on the '11, and has a bump molded in on the '16. I suspect the bump was put in for improved aerodynamics, or reduced noise.

The '16 has the shark fin antenna, vs. the stubby antenna on the '11.

The brake pedal on the '11 is wider than the '16. I suspect it was reduced after people complained about not being able to put their foot on the floorboard. After I got used to it, I never was really bothered.

The footwell, at least on the driver's side, seems to be a slightly different shape between the two. Weathertech has a different number for their mats for each year. The factory rubber mats came on the '16. They are pretty feeble. I will be buying at least the Weathertech for the front. The high sides do a great job of protecting the carpet. The carpets on my '11 are going to look good as new after the dealer shampoos them. I put my '11 Weathertechs in for the until I get the new ones. From the fit, I can tell they extended the footwell forward to give you room to extend your left leg further.

I really love the little button on the '16 on the lower left corner of the radio trim that allows the proximity alarms from the front and rear bumper sensors to be silenced. On the '11, you had to shut off the beep using the left 4.2" display. The new button will be really handy to shut off the beeper when backing a trailer.

The left and right 4.2" displays have much better resolution on the '16 than the '11. Kind of like an iPhone 6s vs. the 4s. The tire pressure monitor now shows values for each tire, rather than just giving a warning when a tire is too low.

Missing from the '16 is the center dash indented tray. I liked that for laying my sunglasses on the dash. So long as I didn't drive crazily, the stuff that was sitting on the tray stayed put. (yeah, I know there is a drop down compartment in the roof console to put glasses). I also used that when I was using my Garmin.

The new XLT has Nav (I didn't want it, but couldn't find one without) so I don't need the Garmin any more. I haven't used the Garmin that much lately as my phone is much easier to use to get directions. The Nav is nice to use to display a map of the area surrounding you.

The HVAC dash controls on the '16 are different than the '11. That happened a few years ago. The new ones are nice. They'll take a little getting used to, but nothing complicated.

The front cupholders in the '16 have a slot between the two so you can put mugs in them with handles. The '11 had individual slots. The front storage cubby had an indent to get a charging wire out and keep the door closed. YEA!

The driver's door armrest is more horizontal on the '16 at the front. Same control placement, but the '11 seemed to be angled a bit upward.

The steering wheel controls on the '16 are different. The '11 had raised buttons on you could use to press them up nd down. The '16 are more like rocker switches.

The '16 has paddles on the back of the wheel for manual shifting. The '11 had a rocker switch on the side of the shifter.

The turn signal lever on the '16 has a much more positive feel than the '11. Even after 5 years, I still couldn't get signaling a turn right 100% of the time, especially when making a quick left/right signal. The '16 is much more like the prior models where it goes up and sticks in position until you reset it as you straighten the wheel back out.

The '16 has a redesigned change holder in the console compartment. The '16 had a lip molded on top of it. The '11 had two tabs that fit into slots in the back wall of the storage area. Mine broke off when I accidentally l leaned on it. I replaced the broken tabs with a couple of plastic anchors, so I could still use it. The new design is better.

And of course, the '16 has push button start, vs. the key on the '11. I'd much rather have a key, but I'll deal with the "intelligent access" fob.

All in all, I like the differences on the '16. Most are improvements.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The tow hitch cover on the '16 does not have the two little fasteners that held the '11 cover on. Instead there are tabs/lots and a little handle molded into the bottom to pull it out.

The filler on the '11 that fit between the back seats when folded flat, and the rear interior trim, was held in by gravity, and constantly fell out. The '16 has a couple twist fasteners that secure them to the rear inside trim. Much better.

The rear door handles/panels are a little bit wider on the '16 than the '11. I built some carpeted plywood pieces to cover the back of the second row seats and transition to the third row seats when folded flat. They cover the holes in the floor. The added thickness on the '16 squishes the inside door panels just a little. I'll be pulling the carped back and trimming the plywood to accommodate the decreased width.

Spot on so far! I'll add a couple:

2nd row bench seat, passenger side, can be adjusted forward and backward, giving the 3rd row passenger side more or less room.

Roof rack system is redesigned. the 2011-2015 roof rack cross bars won't work on the 2016 models.

All the 2011 floor mats will fit except the drivers mat. Well, it will fit, but it won't cover the floor fully, because like was mentioned above, ford created more room on the driver's floorboard so the newer drivers mat is larger.

They may have extended the drivers left footrest forward, but it feels more cramped, because they had to shrink the size of the footrest slightly. First world problems.

The remote start system seems to have much better range, and adds a "confirmation" indicator light that will flash green if engine start was successful, or red if it was not (e.g. out of range).

Maybe I'll think of some more.

All-in-all, great changes, and I have found that any annoyances with the 2011 model have been 100% addressed for me in the 2016 (e.g. the turn signal stalk, push buttons for heated/cooled seats rather than that touch panel crap, better remote start range, etc)

Spot on so far! I'll add a couple:
:thumbsup:

The stock remote start is amazing vs. the '11. I've been playing with it and started it well inside a big box store with the Explorer out a little ways in the parking lot.

Headlights are much better. The "2-in-1" flip shade system on the '11 produced a crappy light pattern. LEDs and dedicated high beam are much better.

Window shudder and streaking are gone.

Full size spare tire in tow package is gone. While the spar in the '16 is not a mini spare, it still is reduced in rating and intended only for temp use.

I have to say that I'm not surprised at all the little fixes on a first year model vs. 5 years into production.

I haven't had an MFT problem yet, but if/when I do, I won't stress about it. I knew what I was getting with v2 vs. v3.

All in all, I'm enjoying it a lot.

I'm waiting for the '18 redesign.

You may be waiting till 2020 or worse.

Yeah, Ford wouldn't redesign the EX this soon after the 16 update. It will be coming but not that soon.

Back