Replacement Spark Plugs for a 2015 Limited? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacement Spark Plugs for a 2015 Limited?

tradle

Reaction score
City, State
Willoughby, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
Hi All -

I’ve seen quite a few posts about spark plugs/wires but none for my model family. I tend not to trust the store sites with their suggestions because they look to lean on whatever they have too much of in stock. Anyone have suggestions for what plugs to use as replacements?

Thanks as always for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your engine doesn't use plug wires.

Which engine? The turbo and the non-turbo use different plugs.

Why not replace them with OEM plugs?

Peter

Thanks @ProjectSHO89 and @peterk9 - and apologies for the delay in replying.

It is true that my model has no wires to replace. It's the 3.5 L V6 (non-turbo). The thing I've found is that "OEM" plugs seem to have different definitions depending on who you talk to. I've gotten two different recommendations from two different vendors claiming the "OEM" tag.

My main concern is simply an appropriate fit. My Explorer is on the doorstep of 112K miles. I'd like to shoot for the 150K mark, all things being equal.

I installed Motorcraft SP520 plugs when I did my '15 3.5 NA last winter.

Suggest getting a new PCV valve and an upper intake gasket so they can also be replaced. I use the Motorcraft EV257 PCV valve and the FelPro MS97214.

Ordered it all from Rockauto.

If you don't have a service manual, you can always go to https://parts.ford.com/ and enter your VIN, then find the exact/correct Ford/Motorcraft replacement part number. I almost never buy parts from the Ford website or dealer unless the Amazon price is far above price+shipping. You'll also find lots of knock-off equivalents on Amazon, often far cheaper than Motorcraft parts, but I would be wary of the quality, esp for anything crucial like engine electrical stuff. Even silly stuff like a plastic body part may be made with less sturdy/UV-resistant material.

I installed Motorcraft SP520 plugs when I did my '15 3.5 NA last winter.

Suggest getting a new PCV valve and an upper intake gasket so they can also be replaced. I use the Motorcraft EV257 PCV valve and the FelPro MS97214.

Ordered it all from Rockauto.
Outstanding advice - thank you!

If you don't have a service manual, you can always go to https://parts.ford.com/ and enter your VIN, then find the exact/correct Ford/Motorcraft replacement part number. I almost never buy parts from the Ford website or dealer unless the Amazon price is far above price+shipping. You'll also find lots of knock-off equivalents on Amazon, often far cheaper than Motorcraft parts, but I would be wary of the quality, esp for anything crucial like engine electrical stuff. Even silly stuff like a plastic body part may be made with less sturdy/UV-resistant material.
Thank you, @TXScott - I look at the Ford website frequently as a reference. Amazon... yeah, not my choice for parts. I bought a windshield trim set after my stepson's basketball hoop fell on and cracked the original. Not great quality.

Back