How to: - 2012 Ex alternator replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2012 Ex alternator replacement

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

Shweegee

Reaction score
City, State
white lake, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer Limite
posting this today because i couldnt find a lot of information on alternator replacement. Its a pain not going to lie.

Remove battery neg lead.

Remove throttle air intake hose and air box
2 bolts hold air box in place where the air intake meets up at front of grill area.

Remove clamp on coolant hose at radiator and flex up and out the way.

Remove cooling fans assembly 2 bolts 8 mm hold it to the radiator careful pulling out not to damage the rad fins very easy to do.

Remove passenger wheel and wheel well access for serp belt, you will not do anything with alternator thru the wheel well area more for slight added visibility and to aid with removal and install of serp belt. 4-8mm bolts and boat load of scrivets holding the well on.

Remove serp belt, i found the normal serp belt tool just doesnt allow for enough clearance to fully get the tension off and remove belt. Had to use most shallow 3/8 ratchet and cheater bar on the tensioner to remove belt. There are 2 square notches kn tensioner for the ratchet i used the bottom one w cheater bar to get enough tension to remove and later replace belt.

At this point get a 2x4 of correct length and secure hood i used a point over where air box used to be to prop up the hood this will allow you to set the OEM hood prop out the way, youll see what i mean when you start itll just be in the way.

Remove 13mm nut on alternator terminal and remove 3 pin clip.

All thats left holding it in place is 2-15mm bolts both accesible from top side only dont bother trying to go underneath. Air ratchet MAY help in this but i used good old fashion socket and ratchet. Deep well 15mm for bottom and top but others may be able a normal socket with right ratchet but deep well will do it.

Depending on conditions and grime buildup your alt might feel stuck after removing bolts couple taps with piece wood, rubber mallet etc. Wiggle little bit and itll come free.

If you purchased alt ahead of time look at it and you will see what your looking at. The removal of bolts will be a lot of hands on feeling not much visability room to see gotta feel for everything.

Install reverse of above.

I am no means an expert have moderate to above moderate experience but nothing that a normal DIYer couldnt do.

Tools: 3/8 ratchet 8,10,13,15mm sockets deep well for the 15mm, 19mm for wheels, phillips and flat screwdrivers, cheater pipe for serp belt aid,

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Thanks for posting that.:thumbsup:

Peter

Back