2012 Ford Explorer ltd. brake pedal feel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Ford Explorer ltd. brake pedal feel

Philippe_T

Reaction score
City, State
NB
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer Ltd
Hi,

I recently acquired a 12 Ford Explorer Limited and so far I love it.
But I feel like the brake pedal is weak. There seems to be a long brake pedal travel before braking starts to occur and my wife also found the same.

We were driving an 08 Escape before so I can not compare braking.

Our Ford Dealer said the brake are fine. I tried pumping the brake and pressure is not building up more, so I would assume there is not air in the system.

So I'm just curious if it is only me?

Thanks
Phil

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do a fluid flush, add new, and see if it still feels weird.

Hi,

But I feel like the brake pedal is weak. There seems to be a long brake pedal travel before braking starts to occur and my wife also found the same.

Our Ford Dealer said the brake are fine. I tried pumping the brake and pressure is not building up more, so I would assume there is not air in the system.

Thanks
Phil
Welcome to the Forum Philippe_T.:wavey:
Was this Explorer a "Certified Pre-Owned" unit? If so, I would guess that it would have been fully checked out before it was put up for sale. It isn't unusual for brake pedals to feel different between vehicles especially if they are not the same model. Does the dealer have another Explorer that you can use for a comparison? If it really bothers you, take it somewhere else to have it looked at. Good luck Phil.

Peter

Hi,

Thanks
Phil
Phil, (9 years after your post)
I have a 2012 Limited, purchased in 2015, and recently completely bled the system to try to reduce the pedal travel. It didn't help .......

Phil, (9 years after your post)
I have a 2012 Limited, purchased in 2015, and recently completely bled the system to try to reduce the pedal travel. It didn't help .......
A common cause for soft pedal on older vehicles is the rubber hoses to the brake calipers. As they get older, they are able to expand and absorb some of the fluid volume when pressing the brake pedal.

If you see cracking on the hoses, would be a good idea to change them.

A common cause for soft pedal on older vehicles is the rubber hoses to the brake calipers. As they get older, they are able to expand and absorb some of the fluid volume when pressing the brake pedal.

If you see cracking on the hoses, would be a good idea to change them.
Gatzdon,
Thank you for that suggestion!

Back