2012 Limited Hesitating at Startup | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Limited Hesitating at Startup

Reaction score
City, State
Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 FWD Explorer Limited
I have a 2012 Limited with 180,000 miles. Lately, there is an occasional hesitation at startup. It doesn’t happen all the time, but, when it does, it’s about a half to a second of extra spinning before the engine fires. When I turn the engine off, there is a metal-on-metal click as the ending comes to rest. The battery is less than a year old, holds a good 12.6 volts, and is charged at 13.9 volts with the engine running. There have been no engine codes.

To me, it all sounds like the starter, but I wanted other opinions. I can’t confidently say that the hesitation is worse when the engine is hot, but I know it rarely hesitates first thing in the morning when it’s cold. Other than that, it seems pretty random. Maybe it’s still in the early stages of failure. I’m hoping the click I am hearing is only the starter gear.

My wifes '12 Limited did this a few years back. Ended up being the evap canister purge valve in my case. Took forever for it to actually throw a code though. Cheap and quick to fix. Motorcraft CX-2409 Canister Purge Valve on Amazon for ~$30.

Back