• Register Today It's free!

2012 Limited Headlights question

Tommypl77

Reaction score
City, State
West Palm Beach Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer L
Hello, newbie here. I have a 2012 EX Limited....I bought the car after small accident.....need to replace headlights. Should I get halogen or HID ? Which one comes with Limited ? How about headlights from Sport version ? I like the look. Thank you in advance for all answers and help. Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, newbie here. I have a 2012 EX Limited....I bought the car after small accident.....need to replace headlights. Should I get halogen or HID ? Which one comes with Limited ? How about headlights from Sport version ? I like the look. Thank you in advance for all answers and help. Tom
Welcome to the Forum Tom.:wave:
If you have to replace the entire headlight assembly you would probably be better off getting the HID headlamps. The Limited standard headlights are Halogen. An option was HID. The Sport also has Halogen. Several members have added HID 'kits' to the Halogen lights but to do a proper job the interior housing must also be changed to be able to correctly focus the light from an HID bulb. If you are starting from scratch you may as well get the correct HID assembly to begin with. The Halogens apparently have a very poor light output.
There is a very handy 'Search' feature in the upper right that you should become familiar with using to find existing threads on the topic. Good luck.

Peter

Thank you for your help Peter

I have a 2013 limited with hid, gotta say it was a garbage. Very dim and not HID quality. I ended up doing the mod to replace the internals of the HID and upping to 55W morimoto output. The difference was night and day - IMO money well spent - its not cheap to do but all headlight concerns/worries/desires will be solved right there. My before and after pics should be on a thread here somewhere....see for yourself.

You have to have the 302a package to have HIDs. For a 2012 this included: active park assist + adaptive cruise control and collision warning with brake support + rain-sensing wipers + HID headlamps

The factory HID is way better than Halogen, but the performance of the HIDs compared to other OEM implementations isn't very good. My retrofited Ford Ranger has better output.

If yours didn't come with HIDs you can add the OEM HID housings but you have to do a simple wiring mod to the headlight connectors.

57608D4A-FF64-4E47-A7C3-1F6DEDBEA5CB.jpg

Back