2012 Limited water leaks repaired but car still smels musty or mildewy | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Limited water leaks repaired but car still smels musty or mildewy

bobogator

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
Hello. My Explorer had water leaks in the roof racks and the liftgate hinges repaired, but the car still smells musty or mildewy weeks later.

The spare wheel well under the third row seats grew some major mold, but the body shop cleaned it up and replaced the carpet back there. I haven't seen any more mold growing back.

What can I use to get rid of that smell? Lysol disinfectant spray and/or Fabreze in the carpeted areas? I have two big tubs of damp rid in the rear of the car, and neither seems to be soaking up much moisture.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it were June or July the remedy would be simple: Just park it outside with the windows open just a bit. The heat would both dry and kill almost all the mold and mildew. It will still work if its hot where you are.

You can remove and shampoo the mats with a strong solution of a disinfecting soap, then let them dry completely before putting them back in.

Over time, everything will dry of its own accord and the smell will go away. But....wherever there is mold or mildew that you didn't remove (insulation, behind body panels, etc.) and gets wet again, the smell will come back. Its a lot like a sour towel that got dried anyway and put in the cabinet. Smells just fine until you start drying off with it and the bacteria gets wet.

If its really bad, you'll have to pull the carpet and insulation and remedy it outside the vehicle. Best bet is new insulation and clean the carpets at a car wash with lysol or a weak bleach solution.

Thank you for the reply. I can't leave it outside with the windows open, because another unexpected rain is just around the corner here in northeast Florida. I have the rubber mats, so that leaves the carpet and insulation. Is there a way for a lay person owner to check for wet insulation...an easy panel removal and replacement in the back half of the car? Is there such thing as a mold detector device? :)

Is there a way for a lay person owner to check for wet insulation...an easy panel removal and replacement in the back half of the car? Is there such thing as a mold detector device? :)

The best mold detector I know of is the Mk 1 Mod 0 Nose used concurrently with the Mk 1 Mod 0 EyeBall. Great systems for that application.

If you see mold/mildew on your insulation, trash it. You'll never get it all out. Where did the water enter the car? The roof? If so, don't forget to check your liner. Lots'O insulation up there.

BTW, any chance you're still under warranty?

Back